What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (7/25/21 - 7/26/21)

Learned that you should not ground run the engine with the spinner off... Have a new rear spinner bulkhead on order from the mothership, one side of it has warped.

Big instrument training push continues. 4.3 hours simulated IMC Friday/Saturday. Had a genuine communications failure (couldn't hear ATC) for 25 minutes in uncontrolled airspace that had me stuck on a track 25 degrees right of direct leaving me 25 NM off course. Great learning experience.

Less than 11 hours left for my requirements for the rating, but have only 2 weeks to get it done. Hope to have the rating in my pocket before departing for the East coast in 3 weeks.

Finished all the branch circuit wiring on the fuse shelf. Lots of lacing, carefully arranging a ton of little wires, trimming, and crimping, but I'm really happy with the end result. Still need to bring in the big cable from FWF on the left side of the shelf, but that'll be relatively easy compared to this tedium.

(Note: the zipties seen here securing bundles are temporary. I'll of course be adding silicone tape before doing it for real, or else I'll pony up for some GripLockTies.)

img_2423-1024x768.jpg

img_2424-1024x768.jpg

After a month of no flying because of endless rain, I finally was able to fly this weekend. Did some "Impossible Turn" tests at 5000.

Then I took some of the ideas listed in the "Landing Distance" thread in the RV-8 forum and tried those for a couple of landings.

Was a beautiful day for flying. Low 70's and not a cloud in the sky. Rained on Sunday...

Still waiting for my prop back from Catto. In the meantime, doing a few mods.

The latest: machined new intake tube clamps and switched over to o-ring seals and constant preassure hose clamps.

20210723-093359.jpg

20210724-214532.jpg

20210719-212908.jpg

Last edited:
Got myself some chemicals!

Attachments

• 6809F3A2-3DB1-40A9-8EAC-9F617E3AE207.jpg
    6809F3A2-3DB1-40A9-8EAC-9F617E3AE207.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 222
Finished all the branch circuit wiring on the fuse shelf. Lots of lacing, carefully arranging a ton of little wires, trimming, and crimping, but I'm really happy with the end result. Still need to bring in the big cable from FWF on the left side of the shelf, but that'll be relatively easy compared to this tedium.

(Note: the zipties seen here securing bundles are temporary. I'll of course be adding silicone tape before doing it for real, or else I'll pony up for some GripLockTies.)

img_2423-1024x768.jpg

img_2424-1024x768.jpg

That is one neat job

Not pictured, there is a ring that goes inside the bore (larger than the bore of the intake. So the O-Ring is clamped between the flange on the intake tube and the intake boss. The O-Ring is Viton.

You can buy them from SDS. Mine is a little different, but same basic layout.

lycflange304.jpg

http://www.sdsefi.com/sdsaero.htm

Very nice. This seems like a ridiculously superior design to a standard gasket. Too bad it's not the norm.

Yeah, took a little trip to hang out with the extended family. It started off by huddling in a tent hiding from rain with some guy named Steve Smith :).

i-GGLqZ2P-M.jpg

i-bkgWJKj-M.jpg

i-dCnckRB-M.jpg

i-QTmBM9R-M.jpg

Back