What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which pump and filter?

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm in the plans for the fuse where it calls for installing the fuel injection system components and tubing prior to installing the forward skin. I have the fuel system brackets in the fuse kit no problem there.

What pump and filter combo is appropriate? I'm assuming both are from Airflow Performance?

I've read the posts here about wing root filters and other items. Was gonna stick with the plans just not sure of the purchase I need to make.

Dudley, the original pump and filter for the RV14 was the Andair PX375 and filter. The Airflow Performance pump and filter conversion was done as a request from owners that had Andair pump failures. The original valve and rigid fuel lines to the fuselage sides are utilized, as long as you are using the mechanical injection system and not and electronic one that requires full returns to the tanks.

Tom

Which plane the 8 or the 14? My earlier post was in regards to the 14!
The 8, 9 out of 10 will use the AFP pump and filter.

Tom

I was asking about the 8. I didn’t have good results with the andair and converted the 14 away from that last year.

This is the AFP pump from Vans that fits in the brackets in the kit. The frustrating thing is it is plumbed differently than shown in the drawings. It has an internal return to supply side of the pump. You don’t have to run the return line back to the fuel valve as shown in the plans but you do need to change the fitting on the valve supplied with the kit. It’s nice to have one less line to run and I used the hole through the LG boxes for my battery cable but the pump assembly is longer and it’s challenging to get it all hooked hooked up in the space available.

Attachments

• F5C9C4D3-6C09-4E1D-9BA4-53E480B30325.jpeg
    F5C9C4D3-6C09-4E1D-9BA4-53E480B30325.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 174
I think this is the new Airflow design that doesn't require a return line which makes the installation a lot easier than in the drawing. I mount the pump very similar in the picture.

You might want to consider this easy to make mod for an access panel to your AFP fuel system parts. Makes initial installation, and future maintenance easier.

EDB80C6E-C543-46FE-858C-FA98D921EABB.jpg

Upside down........ oh well...

Dudley, the AFP pump is used by more builders than any of the others. That being said, Paul Dye has the single version EFii pump in the RV3 ( dont know about the RV8) and as far a I know hasnt had any issues.

The plans are outdated as they show the version 1 pump with the return. Version 2 is easy.
Tom

FWIW, I happen to currently be doing fuel system checks on my Mustang2. For my IO-360 engine, I'm running the Andair Px375 boost pump, fed by the Aerolab internal/external gascolator that has a 50um filter, an 100um inline filter up stream of that, and a typical course finger mesh strainer in the wing tank. Pump tests at the exit of my redcube (not including the engine pump and servo etc) are consistently 37ga/hr. All my lines and fittings are -6.

The only reason I mention this is if you want to use the Aerolab gascolator (choose your religion), you can consider eliminating the inlet filter to whatever boost pump you choose.

Last edited:
I used the FLOW EZY filters recommended by many VAF members. They have a stainless steel screen and come in different filter screen sizes. I purchased the Series 4000 filter to get a large surface area. These filters are not cheap but they do seem like they are solidly built.

Here's a link to their catalog. When I bought them they were about $75/ea.

https://www.flowezyfilters.com/pdfs/MotorSport.pdf

There are similar types of filters available from Summit Racing too.

Back