What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting FS Paint numbers to actual paint

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I have a paint scheme in mind from an old camoflage pattern from my AF days in the 1980's. I can find the official camo pattern and the Federal Standard paint numbers, but how do I turn the FS numbers into actual paint?

Any of the larger paint companies should have formulas for FED-STD-595 colors. If not, you can get the paint chips of the colors you want and have the local shops match.

Or, you could buy a thousand little bottles of Tamiya model paint!:D

I have the standard with the small chips if you want to borrow it, but larger individual matching chips are available on-line.

I've tried in the past to use the FED STD numbers to have paint mixed up for various projects. I gave my paint shop the FED STD numbers and the colors were off by quite a bit. Orange Yellow FS 13538, turned out more of a "Peach" color. It was explained to me that the pigments have changed over the years and the paint mix formula doesn't quite yield the same colors today. Don't know if that is the truth, but I know that I was not able to give the FED STD number to the paint shop and get the correct color.

So, what to do...It was recommended to me to go get the colors I wanted in model paint and spray out test panels, then take the test panels to the paint shop and have them scanned. This resulted in the proper colors that now matched the FED STD paint chips.

You could skip that step and just buy the FED STD paint chips and have them scanned, but I think my shop wanted at least a 6" x 6" piece to scan, and the little 1" x 1" chips were too small for their machine to give an accurate match. Things may have changed in the last few years, so check with your paint shop to see what they can work with.

Good suggestions. Yes, the modeler types seem fanatic about paint accuracy, so at least starting there with their tiny little bottles may be a way to start.

I’ve done several military type schemes using FS numbers. See if you can find a dealer that will mix Sherwin Williams Military Aircraft Coatings.

Back