What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward Bottom Skins

Bootscooter

HI All,

The manual says to install the landing gear on an RV8 before installing the Forward Bottom Skins.

Vans are having a lot of trouble getting my gear legs to me due to power coating delays.

I have gone through the manual and can't see why you can't instal the skins before the landing gear. Can anyone provide a good reason why you have to wait to install landing gear before the skins??

Rgs Chad

HI All,

The manual says to install the landing gear on an RV8 before installing the Forward Bottom Skins.

Vans are having a lot of trouble getting my gear legs to me due to power coating delays.

I have gone through the manual and can't see why you can't instal the skins before the landing gear. Can anyone provide a good reason why you have to wait to install landing gear before the skins??

Rgs Chad

The skins are on with a QB fuselage, so I agree with you, you should be able to proceed.

They probably get you to wait because the forward lower skins need to be relieved where the outboard gear attach brackets mount.. But as mentioned, these skins are already installed on a QB, so the skins are just notched in place as required. You might get a slightly neater finish by fitting the skins after the gear, but its all covered up in the end anyway...

Last edited:
I predrilled all the holes early on. I installed the gear after my bottom forward skin was riveted. I found it was easier to rivet without the gear legs in the way.

There is some verbiage in the plans about drilling gear legs on QB aircraft. I'd think that'd apply to you if you decided to go ahead and install the forward bottom skins.

Another thing to think about: If you're planning on installing the ground-only adjustable rudder pedals (instead of the in-flight adjustable), its easier to install them before riveting the bottom skins on.

Back