What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonneville Salt Flats

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
Flat, smooth, hard as concrete! Nearby Wendover has gas and a little museum. Even the C123 from the movie Conair!

Attachments

• E1E57AE6-A081-4FA2-92E3-A52CB413458C.jpg
    E1E57AE6-A081-4FA2-92E3-A52CB413458C.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 30F86A5A-EA2E-4F9A-A4E3-28E9B8B399AB.jpg
    30F86A5A-EA2E-4F9A-A4E3-28E9B8B399AB.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 278
We stopped at the salt flats on the way out to Reno this year. I'd always wanted to visit, and even got to drive my car out on the flats. They were getting ready for some speed runs, but hadn't started yet. Pretty cool to think of some of the history of that place.

We stopped at Wendover after the flats, and enjoyed the museum they have there. Lots of history at that base as well. Anyone who is passing through that area should stop at both!

I've been there several times with my RV. The backcountry strip runs parallel to the speed tracks. Cool place indeed.

Bonneville_Salt_Flats_Utah_1_(1).jpg

i dunno know. i try very hard in the winter to avoid any parking, taxi area where a road vehicle may have been and dropped, or melted salt from the road.

i dunno know. i try very hard in the winter to avoid any parking, taxi area where a road vehicle may have been and dropped, or melted salt from the road.

Flew there with Vlad, when salt is hard there is very little that gets on the airplane. I saw zero effects of landing on the flats, but remember that memory as one of the cool things I have done with my airplane and many people can't believe i did it.

If I do it properly my airplane will be worn out about the same time I am.

We just flew there a month ago and took my niece out for a tour as she was doing a report on the airport and its role in WWII.
The B-29 bomber hangar is amazing to see. They have really worked hard to restore all the old hangars and buildings. The best part of the tour is a building where they kept all the Norden bombsights while they were not being used for practice. Definitely worth a stop and a tour.

Landed on the flats one year as well when they had all the cars running. Fun to land and taxi right to the start. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=61560

Back