What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Leak At Slip Joint

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I found an exhaust leak at the vertical slip joint of my Vetterman exhaust. As I recall, there are no seals in this area to replace, it’s simply a slip joint. I don’t recall seeing this before. Is this normal or is there a fix?

Attachments

• FE8CDA24-A86E-4479-8411-325BFBA141D0.jpeg
    FE8CDA24-A86E-4479-8411-325BFBA141D0.jpeg
    762.4 KB · Views: 499
  • FC1597D1-1B39-4A70-9EA8-0CC6673DB232.jpeg
    FC1597D1-1B39-4A70-9EA8-0CC6673DB232.jpeg
    643.9 KB · Views: 430
Pretty normal

Looks pretty normal to me. There will always be some leakage, a lttle which will close up with build-up. Mine are similar.

You might want to get a hold of Vetterman. I cannot tell by picture, but they have eliminated slip joint on some of their installs due to some cracking issues. I'm sure he could tell you whether the leaks you show here are cause for concern...

I believe there's supposed to be a bolt/nut holding the slip joint components together. In this picture, the bolt appears to be almost completely corroded away.

I believe there's supposed to be a bolt/nut holding the slip joint components together. In this picture, the bolt appears to be almost completely corroded away.

Some units just had pins that rotated into the mating block, that is what this looks like.

Some units just had pins that rotated into the mating block, that is what this looks like.

Yep, that is correct.

So far the majority of the responses from this forum and my EAA group says it's normal but I will certainly keep an eye on it.

Thanks much!

Anti-seize lubricant

I use a nickel-based anti-seize lubricant at the slip joints… It will help seal.

Permatex 77124 Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant, 8 oz

For past 24-years, mine have been dry. But as Stephen said, there are products available that could help seal.

I have this sitting in my hangar (I inherited it from my father) that is rated to 1,800 F. Something like this may be helpful.

IMG_0027 2.jpg

IMG_0028 2.jpg

IMG_0029 2.jpg

Kelly- do you have mufflers? If so check to ensure the cone is not collapsed and restricting exhaust flow. I have mufflers, my slip joints don’t show that leakage- 500hrs.

I wouldn't ignore that exhaust leakage....FWF CO leakage in any quantity is not good.

On the other hand this problem is common with the Vetterman slip joints but is easy to fix. The slip joint has worn loose...it needs to be resized. Remove the exhaust and take it to an automotive exhaust shop. They will expand the male pipe to make it a snug fit in the female. It'll cost stuff all to have it done. Don't waste your time trying to fix it by sealing it with anti-seize.

Last edited:
Why not remove the exhaust system and clean up the slip joint real good and then when you reinstall it as is coat the male pipe slip joint section with high temp red RTV and slip them together. The RTV will form a gasket between the pipes.

Why not remove the exhaust system and clean up the slip joint real good and then when you reinstall it as is coat the male pipe slip joint section with high temp red RTV and slip them together. The RTV will form a gasket between the pipes.

Hi-temp RTV is not THAT Hi-temp.

Back