What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Stick interferes with seat cushion.

Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
So what do I do? I have Classic Aero seats and the control stick hits the inside of the seat cutout for the stick, especially in the forward position and it presses against the inside of my crotch in the back position. Can’t hardly get full movement of the stick?

Nearly ready to fly my 6A after my extensive rebuild.

Don't you mean, the seat cushion interferes with the control stick? :D

I had a guy custom make my cushions and there was interference; I insisted that he modify them. You may rarely if ever use full forward or aft stick -- no matter, the seat shouldn't interfere. If someone is making a product for RV-6s and it interferes, they should know about it. Of course "all builds are different" but if you built per plans there shouldn't be a difference in this respect.

Push harder….
Actually, you’ll never notice it in flight. And you’ll rarely put in that much stick.

You got good advice above and add you can send cushion off to upholstery shop to be modified for more clearance. Try as other said more Velcro to make sure cushion is more secure to seat pan preventing it from moving and helping the interference.

I thought I had the same problem.Turn. Out great because the tight seats help hold the stick centered while playing with the avionics. Ifyou need full deflection you will get it. Based on the coast in CA and always go IFR ou and into the marine layer.

My seat cushions give and so, while there's contact with the cushions before full deflection, they don't prevent me from moving stop to stop easily. I blush to report that my own 'cushion' requires me to 'suck it in' when holding full up while taxiing... :eek:

Again are the controls push rods installed and hooked up to the ailerons and elevator

The sticks won’t move as far once hooked up

I have had folks in the 260 lb catagory with me and getting the stick all the way back was a problem in an RV7. Bigger is not always better ��

If everything is hooked up and your still hitting the cushions you do have an option to send them back for rework
J

Last edited:
Yes Jack everything is hooked up. I’ll be sticking the Velcro to the floor shortly and will try spreading the cushions apart to alleviate the interference before I consider any trimming. I sort of figured these expensive seats would be clear of the stick without having to yard them apart like this.

Back