What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final Inspection MD-RA

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Question for my fellow Canadian builders.
I am nearing the final MD-RA inspection and wishing a smooth experience as much as possible. I tend to (over) stress/worry especially around administrative/bureaucratic hurdles.
For example, a recent builder did not have a OPEN sign for the canopy handle...
Easy to fix, but how would that affect the process to obtain the special CofA?
Already that there's a 3-4 week delay AFTER the inspection IF everything's OK...

Despite doing the best we can to comply the fullest, what are stuff that you guys were "snagged" on??
Thanks,

I had a paperwork glitch that cost a few weeks; my registration mark application had “RV-7A” while later paperwork had “RV7-A”. My final inspection looked mostly at placards and paperwork, not the plane.
Congrats on reaching this stage, and have a well prepared, happy first flight!
Jay

Don't worry about the inspection. It is there to make you safe, not keep you on the ground. Prior to my inspection I had our local AME/RV builder have a good look at the plane and fixed the few snags he found. I then went over the MD-RA inspection checklist (on the website) and made sure everything on the list was done.

I just had my 4 inspected a month ago. Took about 5 hrs. He looked over the controls, jam nuts, wing and tail mounting bolts, engine controls and travels and placards and then spent time on the paperwork. Make sure your paperwork matches the Dataplate...very important. Have all the paperwork ready as outlined in your MD-RA package or get it from the website. The inspector did ask for a couple of placards which I installed using a Dymo while he was there. He found nothing else and I had the Special C of A in a couple weeks.

The 2 inspectors I have had for the 2 planes I have built both checked the same things. Both were great to work with.

Good luck!

Is there other builders who have gone through the process near by? Host an inspection prep snacks & beer session & have them critique the plane & paper work with the goal of getting a ‘snag free’ result.
If they are happy (not from the beer), you should be confident going into the inspection.
Note during the inspection, be sure he fills all HIS forms in same way you filled in YOURS - a possible snag not created by you…

I don't fear the inspection or the inspector, I'm confident the RV-8 is up to standard and if something comes up, that's good, and it will be corrected.
I have a few builders and a couple licenced mechanics come by regularly and look over the project, and they like what they see. That's encouraging.

The paperwork... If there's one aspect about this process that I believe could be improved is the MD-RA web site and it's information. Maybe it's me...

Ralph, I like your suggestion of having a simulated inspection with fellow builders that went through the process. I'll stock up the fridge...:D

Keep up the ideas and experiences, it surely helps !!! :cool:

Back