What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tape.v.proseal TE wedge

JeremyL

Well Known Member
I know there has been a touch of conversation on this topic, and it has been awhile since I’ve seen anything. So I’d like to rehash as I am about 2 weeks from tackling the rudder TE. I’m looking for people who HAVE used the vans recommended 3M tape on the TE. Come one, come all, tell me your stories, my mind is a sponge. Thanks in advance guys.

I used tape and it worked perfectly fine. Probably a little less messy than Proseal. Not much more to say other than do a little research on technique and you will end up with a descent part. I chose to partially set the rivets in a random pattern and then come back and fully set in the same pattern when i was happy with straightness. Probably not a Lindy winner, but perfectly acceptable. YMMV. Good Luck !

Just to be a contrarian, I used Pro-Seal on my first RV-10 (back when Van’s did not mention the tape option). I was very happy with the results. I will again use Pro-Seal on the new RV-10 project as I do not wish to experiment when I know the Pro-Seal process works (as in I do not want to tempt Murphy’s Law).

Carl

Just to be a contrarian, I used Pro-Seal on my first RV-10 (back when Van’s did not mention the tape option). I was very happy with the results. I will again use Pro-Seal on the new RV-10 project as I do not wish to experiment when I know the Pro-Seal process works (as in I do not want to tempt Murphy’s Law).

Carl

I used proseal too. I think the advantage of the tape is that it is more or less instant. The advantage of proseal is it gives you the opportunity to align and cleco things if you don't "land" the edges together perfectly.

Proseal on my -7
Tape on my -10

Tape is quicker, easier and obviously less messy. They are both effective. They’re only used to hold it together while you rivet it. The tape is very uniform and thin so there’s little chance of pillowing between rivets which can occur if too much pro seal is used.
I’m sure vans changed to the tape method as it reduces variability and improves the odds of a good outcome from amateur builders.

A straight TE mostly comes from following the riveting sequence instructions closely and taking your time while continually checking your work. Not the bond method.
I also think it would be beneficial to do the TEs towards the end of the empennage as you should be more comfortable with the rivet gun by then.

Proseal on my -7
Tape on my -10

Tape is quicker, easier and obviously less messy. They are both effective. They’re only used to hold it together while you rivet it. The tape is very uniform and thin so there’s little chance of pillowing between rivets which can occur if too much pro seal is used.
I’m sure vans changed to the tape method as it reduces variability and improves the odds of a good outcome from amateur builders.

A straight TE mostly comes from following the riveting sequence instructions closely and taking your time while continually checking your work. Not the bond method.
I also think it would be beneficial to do the TEs towards the end of the empennage as you should be more comfortable with the rivet gun by then.

Thank you, and thanks for all the replies, I am actually very comfortable with the rivet gun now, dare I say I feel more comfortable with that in my hands than the squeezer. But, I purchased the tapered squeezer set from Cleveland to use on the TE. So we shall see how that works with the tape .

Back