What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail kit packing list

RickAllen

Anyone else with a recent -10 tail kit notice that the packing list has sub kit numbers 1 thru 10 but there is no sub kit 7 listed. When I called Van’s to order a few missing pieces of hardware I asked why there was no sub kit 7 listed and got a non answer to only expect what is on the packing list. Anybody else notice this on their packing list? Did they eliminate sub kit 7 or maybe consolidate kits and just not re number the remaining sub kits? It strikes me as odd.

I didn't get a sub kit 7 either, and it doesn't appear I'm missing anything as far as I can tell so far.

The sub kits seem to be more about packing efficiency than anything else. I started out keeping them together, but quickly realized that was the worst possible way to organize the parts.

I didn't get a sub kit 7 either, and it doesn't appear I'm missing anything as far as I can tell so far.

The sub kits seem to be more about packing efficiency than anything else. I started out keeping them together, but quickly realized that was the worst possible way to organize the parts.

+1 for both of these comments!

0lkFH2_SScAtnBJbL8zuiaoRw

I organized the parts by component and put the hardware bags in small bins.

Last edited:
FYI the nutplates can be a real disaster and are the biggest pain in the neck IMO. I'd separate those ASAP into labeled baggies or bins. There are many nearly identical looking nutplates in 1130, 1131, 1132. (or is it 1030, 1031, 1032 bags?)

Of course, the best practice is to verify the correct nutplate with its hardware prior to install.

For airframe parts, I find keeping the subkits together to be very helpful. I often refer to the packing list to find parts or material and that usually allows me to narrow my search pattern to a specific subkit or if it wasn't in a subkit, I can skip looking at all the subkits and just hunt through what's left.

Hardware bags always gets broken down and sorted according to size and type

Back