What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do

Mark Jackson

Patron
I am working on the fuselage and am on hold for temperature reasons. I have drilled/dimpled all the parts and am waiting for warmer weather to prep them and start final assembly. I've been religious about following the step order in the instructions.

Any suggestions as to what steps I might proceed to while I wait? Any other project steps go with the fuselage that I might work on now?

You might be able to debur future parts. Or there might be certain subassemblies that can be built and set aside. Things like the elevator bellcrank, the floor, the seat backs, those sorts of things. Just be sure to mark where you are now and what you're doing ahead.

Dave
RV-3B now working on the canopy

Not sure where you are but if you just have parts of the forward fuse done Look ahead at the drawings and fabricate the parts like the tank brackets and pushrods.

Build on

I am working on the fuselage and am on hold for temperature reasons. I have drilled/dimpled all the parts and am waiting for warmer weather to prep them and start final assembly. I've been religious about following the step order in the instructions.

Any suggestions as to what steps I might proceed to while I wait? Any other project steps go with the fuselage that I might work on now?

Houston? Warmer weather? What's the problem?
Maybe we can give tips.

Is your empennage truly done

I built these parts two years ago and today I just spent eight hours fitting the fiberglass on the horizontal stabilizer & elevators ,, now to start the clamped in place Glass /Microballoons & Counter sunk rivet work !!
Rudder bottom usually takes a fair bit of time to if you didn’t do it al ready !

You're all wrong

The correct answer was apparently clean all the gutters, get the leaves out of the garden, clean the mud room, and mow the lawn.

Clean / organize your shop?
Start planning your panel?
Look ahead to what tools / parts / hardware you're going to suddenly realize you're missing when you go to the next task(s)?
Take smaller parts that need painting somewhere you can do that?
Buy a propane heater?

Buy a couple of "bullet" heaters?

I have a substantial avionics project going on at the moment. I have a 115,000 BTU such heater in my hangar, here in Minnesota. I can have my leaky, uninsulated T-hangar up to shirtsleeve temps in about 20 minutes. It uses kerosene at $3.40/gallon or it will use #1 diesel at $2.80/gallon, or it will use Jet A at whatever that costs, and 5 gallons of such fuel will run for about 2 hours 40 minutes.

The correct answer was apparently clean all the gutters, get the leaves out of the garden, clean the mud room, and mow the lawn.

Well yes that's always a good option! Build up some credit and brownie points in other areas that will enable more time on the RV when the weather is warmer.

Back