What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ceramic coating over polished aluminum skin

Has anyone applied a ceramic coating over polished aluminum skin? I have just polished out my wings and want to apply a protective coating to reduce future maintenance. There is also a spray on coating that is used on aluminum tanks like the milk trucks.
Thanks
Michael

Has anyone applied a ceramic coating over polished aluminum skin? I have just polished out my wings and want to apply a protective coating to reduce future maintenance. There is also a spray on coating that is used on aluminum tanks like the milk trucks.
Thanks
Michael

I have a test panel on my wing about 10" by 10" that I have tried the Johns 360 product. I was not brave enough to put it everywhere since it is not easy to remove. So far it is holding up and definitely makes cleaning easier. I have not done the full season test yet to see if it holds up. I will post once I have enough info to be of use but so far, so good. I also treated adjacent panels with A: Wax, B: Johns, C: Something from McFarlane that I cant remember. None worked as well or looked as good as the Johns 360 panel.
Ed

Ed,
Thanks for your input. Of the ceramic coatings I have seen, none have been two part so John's 360 is interesting. I would love to see what it looks like after 3 to 4 years.
Michael

I agree. Talked to them a week ago and the only downside is there is no spray booth at my airport. I doubt I can get away with spraying it in my hanger but I may try it.

Back