What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting the bottom skin issue

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
There is interference while riveting the trailing edge / rear spar near the aileron hinge. I manage to fit a pop rivet in one of the holes but the other is just blocked. Looks like the reinforced rear spar addendum is the culprit. Without any advice, looks like one hole will just have to be filled at some point.

When I get near my ipad I can upload some pics of what im talking about.

I tried to avoid this by beveling the flanges of the reinforcement angles. I'm still not sure I'll be able to get a bucking bar in there. I would guess that a single "filled" hole would not cause a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 163
I tried to avoid this by beveling the flanges of the reinforcement angles. I'm still not sure I'll be able to get a bucking bar in there. I would guess that a single "filled" hole would not cause a problem.

Good idea. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I was just reading this SB last night in between inventory. They actually show the flanges shaved to something like a 45, don’t quote me on that angle. It is my understanding that Vans has replied to several that 1 or 2 pop rivets (I believe mk319) were acceptable here.

I ran into the same problem while closing the bottom wing skin of my RV8. I use the pop rivet in one place like in the picture above.

Blind Rivets

I simply used bs319 rivets. I believed that I would do more damage trying to set solid rivets than using blind rivets. They are on the underside of the wing!

There is interference while riveting the trailing edge / rear spar near the aileron hinge. I manage to fit a pop rivet in one of the holes but the other is just blocked. Looks like the reinforced rear spar addendum is the culprit. Without any advice, looks like one hole will just have to be filled at some point.

When I get near my ipad I can upload some pics of what im talking about.

I had a similar interference problem somewhere else, and I found I was able to get an MK319 in by putting in the hole as far as it would go, partially pulling it, whereupon I was then able to fully insert and complete the pull. Worth a try. If you do abandon the hole the classic repair is a new rivet either side of the abandoned hole, at least you can put those rivets where you want them within reason.

I could just drill into the reinforcing SB metal bracket. My concern would be the strength of the leftover piece, and the introduction of burred, unprimed metal that might be susceptible to corrosion.

But I could get a MK-319 in then.

Beveling is what I did as well. I had no issue bucking using my favorite pointy tungsten bucking bar.
My log entry: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7mmMuKEgA&e=7mnEnpol6&listcat=&sid=

It's also addressed in this thread: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=155919&highlight=16-03-28&page=2.

Back