What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weather proofing my painted RV

DylanRush

I think this section is mostly about polishing unpainted aluminum planes so forgive me if I’m not in the right place. I wasn’t sure if I should be here or in the painting section.

I am saving just over $500 / month by using a tie down instead of a hangar. I don’t think leaving it outside is going to cost me $6000/year in extra maintenance, but maybe I’ll change my tune after the first year.

Anyway I want to weather proof the airplane as much as I can. I live in Seattle so very little snow, little sunlight and no damaging hail to speak of, just rain, rain rain. And it’s currently tied down at KPAE so it’s a little windy too.

My plan is to just wash, wax and use touch up paint whenever necessary. I have a canopy cover, gust locks, engine and pitot covers and ropes for tie downs.

I’m still going back and forth in my head as to whether a hangar that’s farther away from my house and $570/month is actually worth it..

Anyway the question is: what else can I do to weather proof the airplane. Is there a certain wax or polish I should use to protect the paint from the elements and maybe prevent moisture from getting in the cracks?

Back