Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:05 PM

Default PMag wiring

Question for the brain trust regarding wiring a two PMag system:

If using an ACS keyswitch, can the P leads of the PMags be switched through the ACS switch as with magnetos with the breaker protected power/test circuit wired to separate momentary contact switches?

Should be simple to wire up and is the first choice. Just want to make sure the keyswitch doesn't interfere with anything.

Or would using toggle switches for P lead and Power/test circuit be the best solution? (As suggested in another thread here?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PMag switch.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	21059

Thanks
RV-14A Under construction
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 01-16-2022, 03:19 PM

My friend's had Stein make his panel. He has a magneto and P-Mag wired thru a key switch as you suggested. Cannot see where there could be an issue with both P-Mags thru a key switch.
AirCam flying
Old 01-16-2022, 04:50 PM

Advance Flight Systems built my panel. It has a key switch for the P-leads (Kill terminals) of the dual pMags, as for ordinary magnetos, as you propose. They are wired to the ACM power with #20 wires.

The Pmags also require a power connection, and require switches to verify their internal alternators are working during preflight even when the power connection is turned off. My panel has a pair of switches with internal circuit breakers for this purpose. It's required in the Pmag installation manual, but took me a little while to understand, because they don't do anything unless the pmag alternator isn't working.

Be certain to run both of these power wires from the switches to main power independently. I shared a wire, and had a marginal crimp on the shared wire that led to intermittent loss of backup PMAG power, leading to the engine stopping during stall testing during phase 1 testing, when the RPM was too low for the pMag alternators to function. The crimp was good almost all the time, making it very difficult to troubleshoot.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:07 PM

My Pmags are wired that way too, so my startup and pre-takeoff runup is done the same way I've done it for 50 years with magnetos...with the exception of an additional checklist item...main power to each Pmag so I can check its intrinsic alternator.

1700 rpm, check left ignition, check right ignition, then additionally over to the Pmag switches and turn off power to first left Pmag, then right pmag and make sure they still run when their power is shut down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pmag.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	588.5 KB
ID:	21067  
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 01-16-2022, 05:23 PM

Make sure the jumpers on your key switch are configured for ‘start on both’.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:37 AM

Another opinion - besides looking like the aircraft that you trained in, why use a keyswitch? They are expensive, seem to fail regularly, and you'll still need to add toggle switches to test power on the pmags.

I used a pair of honeywell 3-position toggle switches - one for each pmag - and they work great, easy to wire, and it's really clear what's happening when I test my pmags during runup. Off - On - On w/12v I have a separate toggle for the "maintenance" function of the pmags needed to time them. And of course a big fat start button.

Nice thing about "homebuilt" is we get to do our own thing.

Please send him a bit of money so he can keep providing food and essentials to civilians affected by the war.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
My Pmags are wired that way too, so my startup and pre-takeoff runup is done the same way I've done it for 50 years with magnetos...with the exception of an additional checklist item...main power to each Pmag so I can check its intrinsic alternator.

1700 rpm, check left ignition, check right ignition, then additionally over to the Pmag switches and turn off power to first left Pmag, then right pmag and make sure they still run when their power is shut down.
Exactly how I set mine up. Mine has a Normal Closed push button and a circuit breaker for each eMag. In addition to the regular P-lead check, I check the power by pushing each button during engine run-up. It is part of my checklist.

Name:	eMag Switches and Display.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	21086
2022 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 01-17-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHarris View Post
Advance Flight Systems built my panel. It has a key switch for the P-leads (Kill terminals) of the dual pMags, as for ordinary magnetos, as you propose. They are wired to the ACM power with #20 wires.

The Pmags also require a power connection, and require switches to verify their internal alternators are working during preflight even when the power connection is turned off. My panel has a pair of switches with internal circuit breakers for this purpose. It's required in the Pmag installation manual, but took me a little while to understand, because they don't do anything unless the pmag alternator isn't working.

Be certain to run both of these power wires from the switches to main power independently. I shared a wire, and had a marginal crimp on the shared wire that led to intermittent loss of backup PMAG power, leading to the engine stopping during stall testing during phase 1 testing, when the RPM was too low for the pMag alternators to function. The crimp was good almost all the time, making it very difficult to troubleshoot.
Thanks for your input Just what I needed.
RV-14A Under construction
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 01-16-2022, 04:57 PM

I designed many panels at SteinAir using an ACS keyswitch to ground the P-Mags. The only addition was usually a pair of spring-loaded-on toggles to interrupt the electric power for checking the PMA function during run-up. There is a "P-Lead" connection on the P-Mag for this.
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor

We're all here because we're not all there...