What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Normal Oil Burn?

the best thing I did for my high time engine when the oil consumption starting going up was a ring flush. viola, things are better. it is now part of my annual maintenance. it can be messy.

I did test the 2 quart level after an oil change, no I didn't fly it, but did a run up at the hangar and all engine indications were as normal. whew.

I have been running oil level around 5 quarts for years now.

the best thing I did for my high time engine when the oil consumption starting going up was a ring flush. viola, things are better. it is now part of my annual maintenance. it can be messy.

I did test the 2 quart level after an oil change, no I didn't fly it, but did a run up at the hangar and all engine indications were as normal. whew.

I have been running oil level around 5 quarts for years now.
Turbo, Did you follow the Savvy instructions for the ring flush? I have a used (rebuilt) engine, IO-360 Angle Valve with chrome cylinders and using about a quart every 3 hours. I've checked compressions, all well within limits but it sat a long time, pickled.

https://resources.savvyaviation.com..._pdf/savvy-oil-control-ring-solvent-flush.pdf

Turbo, Did you follow the Savvy instructions for the ring flush? I have a used (rebuilt) engine, IO-360 Angle Valve with chrome cylinders and using about a quart every 3 hours. I've checked compressions, all well within limits but it sat a long time, pickled.

https://resources.savvyaviation.com..._pdf/savvy-oil-control-ring-solvent-flush.pdf

Ryan,

I have an angle valve 360 just rebuilt with 30 hrs on it and chrome cylinders. I'm at about a quart every 1-1/2 hrs. No leaks, great compression, and I don't see much on the belly. But it's got to be blow by.

A few older gentlemen on the field have told me to hang in there and wait it out. Could take 80-100 hrs and to run it hard.

Ryan,

I have an angle valve 360 just rebuilt with 30 hrs on it and chrome cylinders. I'm at about a quart every 1-1/2 hrs. No leaks, great compression, and I don't see much on the belly. But it's got to be blow by.

A few older gentlemen on the field have told me to hang in there and wait it out. Could take 80-100 hrs and to run it hard.
Chuck, I'll give it some more time. I appreciate the info!

Ask yourself or your sources, will moisture evaporate at minimum temp of 180?

Jeff Schans from Lycoming, spoke at one of our EAA chapter meetings. He explained that the temperature in the crankcase is about 40 degrees warmer than where the oil thermocouple is located. That is why the 180 degree point is selected as the minimum temp you should run at (if you can).

yes, I followed the savvy info. it is a great diagnostic tool to add to the yearly maintenance schedule. :)

Oil temp

Yea if you fill a pot with a guart of water bring it up to
A hundred and forty degrees, and it won’t take long to
Evaporate.

I too just did the savvy flush and results are incredible. Was down to a qt/4hrs. and oil turned black after an hour flying. Two cylinders were hard to clear, but finally did. Now I have 4 hrs on Hobbs since flush and have only used 1/4 of oil and the oil is still clear.

My O360 in my old RV4 avg 12 to 14 hrs qt.

My O320 now in my RV9 with new ECI cyls and 9.1 c/r is just over a qt in 50 hrs. Time for an oil change instead of adding.

Both were filled to the 7 qt mark.

12 hrs a qt is probably more normal.

50 hrs a qt is the exception and not the rule.

Tim

Back