What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom longeron fit

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Turns out that I missed the note about 1/8 of an inch of longeron sticking out above the skin. One side the whole thing is even with the skin and the other side there is about an 1/8 above towards the firewall then it was drilled to be even at the other side. Yea I didn’t read the instructions very carefully.

I would call vans and ask but it’s the weekend. Does anyone know if this 1/8 of an inch sticking up is critical?

Sorry no one got back to you sooner.
I was just looking at this on my build, and I think you would have had edge distance issues on the gear mount bolts, and the rivets forward of there, attaching F-7101.
A replacement F-717 lower longeron will save you some grief.

Sorry no one got back to you sooner.
I was just looking at this on my build, and I think you would have had edge distance issues on the gear mount bolts, and the rivets forward of there, attaching F-7101.
A replacement F-717 lower longeron will save you some grief.

Thanks. Yea glad I ordered the new parts.

To round up this thread, I discovered why it’s important to have the 1/8 inch of the longeron stick up. The gear attach web fits perfectly once the correct longeron spacing is used, it would not fit correctly otherwise.

Back