What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7 vs -7

RV-7/7A > 7 vs -7

Most of Vans models (RV-10, RV-12 excepted) have the option of either a tailwheel or tricycle gear. The tailwheel models are for example RV-7, and the tricycle gear models are for example RV-7A. The A indicated tricycle gear.

Some call it a RV7, but it’s really a RV-7, and typically abbreviated -7. If it has a letter A after it , like RV-7A, it’s a nosewheel model

My registration application required the dash (RV-6). They sent it back and wanted me to change it when the initial request was RV6. Call it whatever you want RV6, -6, or whatever, but for filing your registration request, you may need to include the dash like I did.

My registration application required the dash (RV-6). They sent it back and wanted me to change it when the initial request was RV6. Call it whatever you want RV6, -6, or whatever, but for filing your registration request, you may need to include the dash like I did.

An experimental amateur-built aircraft may be called whatever the builder wants.

My RV-6 is actually an A&M-6. (The 6th airplane built by Ann & Mel). Our current is registered as an A&M-9.

Thanks Guys,

I knew the difference between the 7 and 7A but some one implied there was a 7 and a -7. But I must have misunderstood that.

Cgoldy

Model Number

The RV3 is an exception where the A and B have nothing to do with landing gear configuration.
RV3A is the first wing mod to reinstate the aerobatic capability and the RV3B is a completely redesigned wing.

I wonder if that has something to do with the aircraft bill of sale from Van's for the kit sale might be showing the dash. Just brainstorming here.

Back