Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-17-2022, 04:21 PM

Default New Canadian RV 10

Hi guys. Iím new to this forum. My son and I are ordering an RV 10 kit. Just wondering if there are any Canadians here that have ordered a kit recently and have any info on the new luxury tax on airplanes. Does it apply to these kit planes?
Old 09-17-2022, 05:45 PM

Not for the kits themselves as they aren't over $100k.
I don't know what might be in store for you when it comes time to register your plane and TC possibly relays that on to Revenue Canada & maybe then they allot some sort of value to the finished plane. Maybe then, you might be assessed LT to the value over the $100k...
Maybe you should try contacting COPA and see if they have any read on what will be.

Lots of maybe's
Old 09-17-2022, 09:13 PM

Default Ambiguous Legislation

Guidance on this can be found at:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...s-tax-act.html

Take a look at the applicability section and it appears to only be triggered by a sale, importation, lease or improvement.

About halfway down, there is a section on improvements but it does not appear to apply to building an aircraft.

I am sure that if this is presently a loophole, they will eventually get around to closing it. It will be interesting to follow the first case...

Cheers, Sean
Donated to December 2023
Old 09-18-2022, 03:47 AM

I think itís pretty hard to value. The labor ďvalueĒ was work done for free essential, it wouldnít be fair to be taxed on your free labor. Outside of that maybe they could put a value on the materials but even then they are stretching i think. Iím not going to worry about it for the time being, and my accountant agrees with that plan. Ultimately we are just small fish in this new tax scheme.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the input. Itís just so hard to know based on what is published so far. Iím sure more people finishing planes in the next year or two will get some experience with this. Kind of a grey zone right now.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:34 PM

Do you guys happen to know how much duty you have to pay when you bring the kit across the border?
Old 09-19-2022, 05:38 PM

No duty, you'll pay GST/PST/HST as applicable where you live along with freight and brokerage. Watch out for the last one, it bites. There are ways to self clear and cheaper brokerages than the shipper defaults. I have used clearit.ca
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 09-19-2022, 05:46 PM

So then Iím guessing itís not quite as simple as having it shipped to a US address and going down with a trailer ?
Old 09-19-2022, 06:11 PM

Default Actually.....

Actually, if you are set up to do that - it is.

My experience was as follows:

Show up, tell the officer what you've got. Airplane parts are NAFTA so no duty. You will get picked out, go to the office show the invoice to establish the value, swipe your credit card for the sales tax and be on your way.

As always when you drive across, if they want to, they can look at closely as they want, which is the YMMV.

Derek
2022 dues paid
Old 09-24-2022, 12:30 AM

Derekís experience mirrors my own, however Iíd add that if youíre lucky they may just waive you through without bothering to collect the sales tax. This past July they simply said ďhave a nice dayĒ when I drove my empennage kit across and declared the value.

So if youíre able, Iíd absolutely recommend driving down to grab it and bring it across yourself.