What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mountain high tank

50Pesos

It’s time to mount the tank brackets, the only thing mountain high will say is it’s better on a shelf. Obviously this have been done before and I don’t care to reinvent the wheel. Is there an ELT bracket? Battery tray? How did you solve this?

Last edited:
Tank Mount

I considered several options, but at the end of the day I chose to use the seat-back straps that came with the system. Perhaps overly cautious, but I wanted to be able to reach the shut-off valve in case of a cockpit fire or a forced landing. Most of the flights I make with rear seat pax are shorter duration and don't require O2. A friend used 2-3 fire extinguisher straps (stainless over-center buckles) in his -10, mounted to the crossbar behind the rear seats. He ran the supply line to the O2D2 unit through the tunnel. He seemed happy with his choice, but the valve was definitely out of reach and there was the potential for it to get jostled by baggage. Not sure where he sourced them, but they shouldn't be difficult to find if you want to go that way.

There are probably other clamping systems that would work too. Perhaps an ORV accessory company. I suppose worm gear clamps would work, but it would be less convenient to remove/reinstall the tank. I don't think I'd be comfortable with Velcro.

It’s time to mount the tank brackets, the only thing mountain high will say is it’s better on a shelf. Obviously this have been done before and I don’t care to reinvent the wheel. Is there an ELT bracket? Battery tray? How did you solve this?

Where are you trying to mount it?

I'm using the MH AL682 cylinder and the associated nylon carrying bag. The tank gets strapped to the top of the tunnel cover, straps modified to secure under four tunnel over screws (with tinderman washers added).

This tank is big enough for two people to go coast to coast and back. The best part is it is easy to get in and out to refill it. There are six of use that each have a standard commercial oxygen bottle in our shared charging bank. I spend ~$10 a year to keep it filled.

The tank is easy to access from the front seat, an is a convenient arm rest for the folks in back.

I use this same tank in my RV-8, the tank straps secured to screws in the forward baggage compartment.

This is an old photo from 2012.

Carl
O2-install-1.jpg

Thank you to everybody for your advice. Just31A5AFF2-0552-4CEB-AC24-98559605AF8D.jpg

44E03F21-58B1-4EFD-95DC-FA88032DC8BF.jpg so happens to be that I looked back at this thread 3/4 the way coming up with my reinvention of the wheel.

Back