What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VPS + Single G3X Touch

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Good morning all!

Struggling with a design decision on my new project, looking for some feedback.

I *really* want to use the Vertical Power System + PPS, but limited to a single G3X Touch display.

Since the only way to toggle the breakers is through the display, what happens if the display dies?

Assuming I need to put some critical items on breakers still?

Thoughts?

Good morning all!

Struggling with a design decision on my new project, looking for some feedback.

I *really* want to use the Vertical Power System + PPS, but limited to a single G3X Touch display.

Since the only way to toggle the breakers is through the display, what happens if the display dies?

Assuming I need to put some critical items on breakers still?

Thoughts?

Even worse, what if the VPS dies? If you have something mission critical, might be wise to consider the most reliable path. I have to believe that fuses have the highest MTBF, but suspect breakers aren't very far behind. I don't use the VPS, so can't provide a lot of guidance.

Most breakers, beyond trim and Alt fld, don't need to be toggled. In most cases, a tripped breaker points to a unit or circuit failure and requires more than a reset to resolve. I have on numerous occasions been able to reset the Alt Fld breaker to keep power going.

Larry

Last edited:
Not horrible

In my mind, a VPX without a screen is basically the same as fuses you can't reach in flight. Not horrible from a failure mode perspective, but you likely want to fix before next flight.

Next thing that comes to mind, is that even in a two screen setup, the VPX only connects to one, so if you lose the MFD you lose the ability to control the VPX. Single screen shouldn't play into the decision

Last edited:
A couple of comments:

- the MTBF of the VP-X is orders of magnitude higher than mechanical breakers and switches
- the VP-X continues to protect circuits if the display fails, you simply can't reset the fault. The rarity of screen failures combined with the fact it's usually not recommended to reset breakers in flight makes this a non-issue, IMO.

Hope that helps...

G5 and a laptop

Think about what you need for backup to get down if all fails. G5 and laptop both have self contained batteries. With a handheld NAVCOM that can talk to ATC and shoot an ILS if need be. I've flown (no autopilot) to an MON and flown an ILS with a handheld NAVCOM, works fine. My antenna is in the wingtip, plenty of range, over 30 miles.

You may be spending too much time worrying about the stuff that won't fail anyway.

A couple of comments:

- the MTBF of the VP-X is orders of magnitude higher than mechanical breakers and switches
- the VP-X continues to protect circuits if the display fails, you simply can't reset the fault. The rarity of screen failures combined with the fact it's usually not recommended to reset breakers in flight makes this a non-issue, IMO.

Hope that helps...

Thanks! My concern was more with being able to turn off a circuit in the case of something like runaway trim, etc.

Basically what I've learned is that folks with single screens simply put those kind of circuits on switches, done! :D

Thanks! My concern was more with being able to turn off a circuit in the case of something like runaway trim, etc.

Basically what I've learned is that folks with single screens simply put those kind of circuits on switches, done! :D

Right on! Yes, and you'll see that the VP-X manual suggests putting a switch in-line for immediate action items like autopilot or pitch trim if you want a way to shut those off in case of emergency. Even if your screen is working, that would take too much time.

Back