What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator horn struggles.

RandyAB

Well Known Member
Good morning all.

I need a bit of advice on what to do with an elevator horn that is being a bit difficult.

I had no troubles in least with the L horn. All six holes are matched very well between the horn, the inboard rib, and the front spar. On the R side however I can easily cleco the horn to the spar, but the inboard rib holes are about 2/3 of a hole off. I can force it into a very tight fit but this throws off the alignment of the inboard rib holes with the forward spar.

I've tried working the inboard rib flange a bit but it's pretty thick and I am also a bit afraid of messing up the match drilling.

I know the 6 match drilled holes in the horn get drilled up to 1/8" but I'm not sure that that will offset the amount the hole is out in the inboard rib.

Suggestions are appreciated!

I would contact Van's and ask for a new horn.

Thanks Jesse. Will do. I wasn't sure initially whether it was a problem with the rib root or the horn....I'm pretty sure it is the horn.

BTW, it was nice to chat with you at Sun'n'Fun (at that beautiful red RV 8) :cool:

recheck other parts too...

Certainly concur with Jesse on getting new horn, give that a try. Oblong holes are never a good thing. My experience when holes don't line up, it is not the part but me....:) It continues to amaze me we can cleco the skins to the frame/assembled parts with a near perfect fit every time, when we get the underlying work done right. You might make some measurements on the horn (L & R) and your elevators... are they consistent from side to side, triple check instructions and your build, it is just good practice and a skill set to have in hand as you go down the road. If you don't have a good micronmeter or equivalent a good tool to purchase. Kudos to your caution and care to do it right!

Cheers, Mike

Check the bend on the tab of the rib.

I remember having the same problem. But it was is a distant memory.

If I remember correctly, it turned out to be the bend on thick rib where it connects to the spar.

It was a bit underbent which moved everything outwards. After I aligned it everything fit.

Hoping I'm remembering this right, but worth a check

Derek

Back