What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 QB Order

Anitech

Hi,

I am getting close to ordering my RV10-QB kits.
I would like to ask those that have done this before me a few questions.

Any feedback would be appreciated...

1. Anyone have first hand knowledge of the RV10 QB delivery time now?

2. What pieces or parts should I omit from the order to buy else where?

3. Have there been any significant changes/improvements to the RV-10 kits in the last 3-5 years or so? If I find a project for sale is there a limit on how far back to go?

4. Anyone know of any pending price increases at Vans?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

1)You'd have to talk to Vans about delivery times. Any recently delivered 10 QB kits were ordered many months ago and were 2-3 (?) months late versus original promise dates of 4-5 months. I'm not sure that is or isn't representative of the current situation.

2) There is plenty on this in the forum archives, and it is all a matter of opinion.

3) No.

4) No - Price increases are generally early in the year.

I ordered mine the first part of November, Vans told me last week that its on it's way to them from the Philippines so looking at an early March shipping date to me. So if that's all true then it will be about 4.5 months.

You can place your order and just let Vans know any items to omit prior to shipping to you. Over that last month or so I've worked out a fairly exhaustive list of things I plane on doing to the plane and broke it out by what kit if any it involves. There are a number of items on the Finishing kit that I will be changing. For the Wing/Fuselage kit I plan on using a pedal system from Controlled Approach, he's finalizing his new design now so that's taking off the stock pedal assembly pieces, also plan on using TS Flightlines for all my hoses (Fuel, Brake, Ect) so I'm taking off a few pieces related to that, and then adding a few fittings. Still uncertain (Need to resolve this coming week) on my lighting and if I go with something like Aveo Ziptips they are replacements to the wingtips so I would not have Vans include the stock versions or lenses.

On the differences not sure, but it seems older kits have white fiberglass pieces vs the grey ones I have. Maybe the grey ones fit better, I don't know. I think there was a doubler added at some point to one of the tailcone bulkhead ribs. If I was getting a used kit, obviously I would check any previous work done, but I would also l would check Vans site for Service Information posts and make sure my kit was up to speed.

No clue on the pricing but the price of aluminium has been dropping over the last 5 years, doubt they would reflect that on their kits since they sell at their current price point.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
QB Kits

Funny, I ordered my QB kits about three years ago because Van's said the price of Aluminum was going up...and it changed the price about 5% I think.

I also was going to use the Control Approach rudder pedals. Unfortunately, he has been "finalizing his design" since I received the QB kits, so I opted for stock pedals with some mods...kind of like the 200 series Pmags, the pedals seem to be made of unobtainium...

more

another thing on the kit deletions...

Be aware that the "kit" price of items is not the same as the stand alone price. If you end up with things in the kit that you don't use, you can send them back, however, you will receive the "kit" price of the item as a credit, not the price listed on the website order catalog page...

If you are considering the CEE Bailey windows, you might consider deleting the stock ones as the "kit" price for the returned windows plus the shipping makes it cost prohibitive to return them.

The HD gas struts for the doors are available from Bansbach Easy Lift in FL for about $52 each, vans has them for $131.

If you are going to use the Aeroled light package, I think Vans has about the best price...

Order the VA-186 oil cooler mount kit with the QB fuse and delete the aluminum heat control valves, there are SS ones available...

Just rambling...

The HD gas struts for the doors are available from Bansbach Easy Lift in FL for about $52 each, vans has them for $131.

That's interesting... I have on my finishing kit the deletion of the stock ones in lieu of the more heavy duty ones. If there's that much of a delta then I'll source them elsewhere.

Per the charts there was an uptick of 20% in aluminium in the summer of 2014. Other than that it's been declining. It could of also been their supplier doing an upcharge for various reasons.

I'm a bit away out on the finishing kit but am curious about those windows. Are there true benefits to those other than ease of installation?

Also explain the VA-186 oil cooler mount kit and SS heat control valves more!

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

The stock unit is aluminum. In the event of an engine compartment fire, that unit will melt pretty quickly. At that point, there's a direct path for fire and smoke into the passenger compartment! Look through other build logs. This is a very common modification.

It's easy to do this step while assembling the fuselage rather than waiting for firewall forward.

Thanks so it looks like you remove part 'Vent TG-1010 L&R' and then order the SS replacement from ACS.

With the VA-186 cooler mount it seems you can just order that on it's own and get it mounted up before the engine mounts.

yes

Your QB kit will come with large crates, order the VA-186 and it won't add to the shipping cost...

Talk to Damien at Bansbach, he is familiar with the RV-10 application. They are 600N units. Have them on hand when it is time to locate the mounts on the door. If you follow the vans plans, you may end up binding the struts. It also helps to have them to set the proper distance between the mounting brackets.

The Cee Bailey windows may save time as they are supposed reduce the amount of trimming. Also, according to a substantial number of forum threads, the vans windshield tends to not fit quite right in the lower right corner. Cee Bailey has been making aircraft windshields for a very long time. I only found out about the availability after I received my QB kit. As I said, returning the windshield would be cost prohibitive, in my case. The Cee Bailey's are also available in different tints.

I am just about to fly my RV10 started 18 months ago.

Do yourself a favor. Build it per the plans. There are things you will find as you go that could be done better but the problems of dealing with 3rd party suppliers is not worth the small benefits. The exceptions to this are the door handles and safety catch.

Talk to sombody who has built one before you start on the doors!

Glider Guider

Amen

Amen Ian. I did exactly as you describe, per plans. Only adding flush door handles and the safety cam on the doors. It took me 25 months. Everything else was as the kit was delivered. Standard engine and prop as well.

My feeling was that everything I changed would cost me time and I wanted to fly.

I am just about to fly my RV10 started 18 months ago.

Do yourself a favor. Build it per the plans. There are things you will find as you go that could be done better but the problems of dealing with 3rd party suppliers is not worth the small benefits. The exceptions to this are the door handles and safety catch.

Glider Guider

Recognize your name from an article I read a few months ago. Since you're building the planes to export to customers I think it completely makes sense to stick directly to the plans. But for the average home builder they're going to want some level of customization, some more than most... each builder has to weigh out the costs, time with the benefits and decide if it's worth it to them.

QB wings and fuse delivery....

I ordered my 10 QB wings and fuselage back on 9/21/15. Vans called me about 10 days ago, I paid my balance and Tony Partain called me the same day. We worked out a delivery time and they were delivered today. So from time of order to delivery was approximately 5 1/2 mos. I was originally quoted 4-5 months, reasonably close.

Driver (Michael) showed up on time, as promised. Parts were carefully packed and did not see any damage. Michael helped us unload, probably took about 30-40 minutes. Having a wing cradle (Mouser plans) and a large flat dolly for the fuselage previously made helped a lot. A great experience, I can highly recommend Mr. Partains delivery service.

And as a side note, his dog "Bear" was a hoot. He was all over the place with bottled up energy. Make sure you have a chew toy for him.

Back