What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

320 into a 360 cowl?

hohocc

Well Known Member
Given the 360 is a little wider than a 320 are there any known problems putting a 320 in a 360 cowl? I've found a 360 cowl more or less local to me but am using a 320 and will use these cowls if possible rather than shipping a 320 cowl to New Zealand at finish kit time.
Thanks!

Given the 360 is a little wider than a 320 are there any known problems putting a 320 in a 360 cowl? I've found a 360 cowl more or less local to me but am using a 320 and will use these cowls if possible rather than shipping a 320 cowl to New Zealand at finish kit time.
Thanks!

The main body of the two cowls is exactly the same.
The difference is in the height of the induction scoop. The MA5 carb on an O-360 is taller so the inlet will be lower than desired if you install an O-320 with an O-360 bottom cowl.

The top halves of the two cowls are the exact same part.

You will probably need a spacer to drop the carb down, alternatively cut off the air inlet scoop and glass on the smaller O-320 version - available from Van's for a few $$.

Pete

I put a 360 lower cowl with scoop on my 320 powered RV-8. On my installation, the center of the scoop inlet sat 1.75" lower than the center of the inlet to the FAB. Instead of lowering the carb / F/I Unit with a spacer, which may alter your cable runs, possibly cut and re-glass the forward portion of the FAB with a slight downward angle to line up with the scoop inlet. I had to do this and it has been working just fine. The potential benefits to this are that the FAB will not rub on the lower cowl, which may cause the upper FAB mount plate to crack. The other benefit is that if one were to put a 360 in afterwards, the cowling already fits.

On the other side of the coin. If you are ordering a finish kit from vans, the crate is probably going to be the same with or without the cowling, the Canopy takes up 90% of the crate with everything else packed under it, (engine mount, gear legs) or over it ( cowling). Picked mine up yesterday from the Mother Ship.

Back