What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Door Locks

50Pesos

Sorry if this has been covered but I am not seeing the answer. I have the Aerosport lock in my door and I need to get the cylinder out. I have the install manual and trying to work it backwards but don't want to disassemble the whole door latch. Are there any of you that know which is the golden screw to get the lock cylinder free to make key copies?

Kind thanks
Eric

I’d call Aerosport. They have great customer service. They might be able hook you up with spare keys in lieu of pulling the cylinder.

The locks are purchased separately from the handle. I suspect you will need to remove the latching arm from the lock (single screw in the center of the lock), and then remove the lock by removing the large nut that holds it into place.

I'm not sure if the lock cylinder can be easily removed from the lock. When I went to a local locksmith to ask about re-keying it to match the ignition lock and baggage door lock, he said it couldn't be done.

This is what you want. Not TOO expensive, come in a pair. From Spruce. I bought these from them in OSH at their booth. They had to look it up.

Attachments

• Door lock set.jpg
    Door lock set.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 165
If this is an aircraft spruce lock, you might try what I did. Assuming you have a key. Call ACS and talk to sales. Give them the number on the key. They were able to sell me additional keys with that number

ACS Locks

I wanted both doors and baggage door to match, so I bought two sets from ACS and asked them to key alike, which they did.

I did consider a Medeco lock set, but the Aerosport locks are machined to match the "bevel" of the ACS locks, which is slightly different on the Medeco's (the Medeco bevel does fit, but is a little loose compared to the ACS...just one more choice to be made building an RV-10)

A little trivia, they won't sell the locks individually, so, to get three, you also get a spare. But spending less than $100 to secure something worth about 25,000 times that amount seemed reasonable...at least keeping the honest folks honest.

Last edited:
So when ya'll got your ACS lock cylinders how do the secure in? I have the big nut off but it's still not sliding out.

Drift

Just a bit of thread drift.

If you are considering locks on BOTH doors, realize that if the door is locked you will be unable to open it from the inside.

This maybe problematic if for some reason you are flying with the pax door locked, have some sort of problem, and need to vacate through that door. If it is locked from the outside, it will not open from the inside and there is no way to unlock it from the inside.

Aerosport has blank trim covers for the outside if you decide not to put a lock there.

The question then, is how to lock the pax door when the airplane will remain unattended or RON. It is a simple matter to use a readily available nylon loop around the handle and seat rail. Locks the door but is unlockable from inside...

Definitely a personal preference but I though I would put it out there...

So when ya'll got your ACS lock cylinders how do the secure in? I have the big nut off but it's still not sliding out.

The ACS locks come with a tabbed washer; you place under the nut and then bend up to secure the nut.

If you don't have this, you should be able to get one at a hardware store, but I'd just take a piece of 0.032" and make one.

Just a bit of thread drift.

If you are considering locks on BOTH doors, realize that if the door is locked you will be unable to open it from the inside.

This maybe problematic if for some reason you are flying with the pax door locked, have some sort of problem, and need to vacate through that door. If it is locked from the outside, it will not open from the inside and there is no way to unlock it from the inside.

Aerosport has blank trim covers for the outside if you decide not to put a lock there.

The question then, is how to lock the pax door when the airplane will remain unattended or RON. It is a simple matter to use a readily available nylon loop around the handle and seat rail. Locks the door but is unlockable from inside...

Definitely a personal preference but I though I would put it out there...

You just made me remember building my -12; I put an Aircraft Specialties locking handle for canopy. I recall sitting in the cockpit, looking up and pondering what I'd do if someone came over (like one of my fun loving buddies) and decided to lock me in for their entertainment... I now carry a canopy cracker and "Snapper". Would work great on the RV-10 windows as well.

It's a good point though. For me, I include "doors unlocked" on my pre-flight checklist.

Ok the finale has come.

I contacted ACS in March trying to get more keys but they said no. I found blanks in England that match and had them shipped but nobody can duplicate them.

Now I contact ACS again and they can sell copies. $12 a key plus a drop ship charge. I guess there were out and instead of telling me wait they said no.

So after talking with Aerosport Products (great customer service, thanks Will) the problem with the doors I bought was the builder installed nutplates instead of nuts and the only way to get the locks out of the door is to cut them out.

Back