What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Cleaning

How clean do you want it? Mine just needs a wipe with a bit of wd-40 to get the dust off from time to time. Down low, I'll get a drip or two of oil, and the same wd-40 spray and a microfiber gets it looking nice.

Polishing it to a shine is another story...

Before I started attaching mechanical stuff to it, I gave mine a quick polish with Autosol metal polish. The stuff every motorcyclist knows about. Took off the grotty surface and left it nice and shiny. Looks nice.
Don’t know how long it will look that way. Did it in sections, and it really didn’t take long.
Cheers DaveH :)

Before I started attaching mechanical stuff to it, I gave mine a quick polish with Autosol metal polish. The stuff every motorcyclist knows about. Took off the grotty surface and left it nice and shiny. Looks nice.
Don’t know how long it will look that way. Did it in sections, and it really didn’t take long.
Cheers DaveH :)

I did the same however used kitchen appliance stainless cleaner. It ws readily available and did a great job.

For normal clean up, I use Simple Green Aviation in a 1:10 ratio. For dirtier cleanup 1:3 ratio. But if we're talking burned on grease (such as a dirty belly from an oily exhaust), then I use mineral spirits (which is basically what the no longer available Varisol was) using a pressurized bottle; works quickly and thoroughly. Follow that up with a little wipe down and it's all clean.

Back