What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List

Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but the new Garmin radios reminded me:
It would be great to have a favorites option/list in the pop up radio tuner page on the GDU.
Would only need to have 5-10 at the most.
This is already supported - see pages 113 and 119-120 in the current G3X Touch pilot's guide (revision Y).

Hey Garmin peeps,

The folks at Areospace Innovations (Midwest Panel Builders) invented a new fuel system that basically has a boost pump by the tank which pressurizes the fuel to the rotax pump in the cowl to prevent vapor lock. https://aerospaceinno.com/boostpumps/

Part of there system is a sensor that works with the standard Andair valve to turn on the left or right pump depending on valve so that the non-selected pump isn't running against a dead end.

Now that we have a sensor for the valve (not that it would have been hard to make before) can we again ask that the G3X track fuel consumption per tank based on the high/low of a discrete input?

I would love it if a GDU is setup as an MFD that you could choose any of the available pages on both sides of the split screen. As it is today you can choose any page on one side of the split screen but on the other you are limited to just a few and you have to go deep in the menu to change the selection.

I always use the handy shortcut: Just touch the page navigation bar and then touch "MFD Split Screen".
Mine actually has the split screen as a big button on top left of the MFD. I'm not sure if I put it there while playing around with options, or if it came as part of the last software update...but it's really nice to have without going to the menu bar.

That said I think Eric is asking for something different, a little more control over the display on the MFD. More specifically I think he is asking about being able to change the left side of the split screen which I don't think is possible. It would also be nice to put the MFD into full screen mode with all the flight instruments that matches the PFD.

I always use the handy shortcut: Just touch the page navigation bar and then touch "MFD Split Screen".
Learn something new everyday. I never touch the navigation bar, I always rotate the knob so I had not seen the "MFD Split Screen" button. My wish still stands as to be able to to any page on either 1/2 of the split screen.

GHA15 colors the altitude tape with a brown crosshatch to represent the ground. This is only visible within 220' of the ground. Systems used on airliners display, in addition, translucent yellow crosshatch from ground up to 1,000' AGL.
Even if limited by the 500' AGL capability of the GHA15, this would be beneficial when in IMC.

1707358841411.png

Expand timer functionality to include count down along with CAS/Aural notification when timer has expired.

1. Tire pressure sensor/display.
  2. Show BOTH OAT C -and- F at the bottom of the screen
    1. ATC / pireps care about Celsius.. but "8C", as an American, it only means "its a little warm" to me.
  3. Winds Aloft screen enhancement
    1. If I'm travelling EAST and its showing winds are 100@15kt @ 3000' (10 degrees off the nose, 15kt).
    2. and its showing 130@20kt @ 6000 ft (40 degrees off the nose, 20kt)..
    3. Is it worth it for me to climb to 6000? I really just want to know the headwind/tailwind components.
    4. One step further..I really really care about the interpolated data between 3000 and 6000, because my choices really are 3500' or 5500'.

Ability to completely remove COMs, NAVs and XPDR from the CNS data bar in a single GDU configuration. These would continue to be available in the main menu. I want more user data fields and the CNS stuff is just wasted data bar real estate when 2xGTN+GTX are installed inches away.

Minimized version of XPDR data bar control that eliminates IDENT.

CAS message when SD card is not present.

Fully support IFR flight plans when an IFR certified navigator is installed.

Fully support IFR flight plans when an IFR certified navigator is installed.
I had thought that I just didn't have setting correct. The G3X does recognize where you're going on the WAYPOINT tab and can check weather, view approach charts, tune in COM frequencies, etc. yet the flight plan does not carry over.

Ability to completely remove COMs, NAVs and XPDR from the CNS data bar in a single GDU configuration. These would continue to be available in the main menu. I want more user data fields and the CNS stuff is just wasted data bar real estate when 2xGTN+GTX are installed inches away.
I believe the above is already supported: if you have a panel-mounted COM radio, audio panel, or transponder, there will be a corresponding "On-Screen Controls" item on the associated configuration page that you can use to hide these items in installations where they are deemed redundant.

Separately, there is a selection on the data bar settings page that will cause any displayed COM or NAV radio controls to use a minimized appearance that occupies less space.

The fuel selector sensor is now available:

I'm not sure the electrical connection, but if Garmin would make a discrete input that defines left tank when active low and another discrete input that defines right tank when active low and tracks fuel consumption based on tank then I'll build the board and make a kit. Better yet, we can use an analog input and I can provide 0volts off 2.5v left and 5v right.

This would be super handy as there are a lot of airplanes using an andair valve with left/right/off and a g3x.

Partial Flaps Max Airspeed

Support more Partial Flaps Max Airspeed limitations. Currently only one Partial Flaps Max Airspeed is supported.
Was able to setup CAS and audible warning for flaps for 10° (97kts) and 20-40° (86kts) using the programming logic from a Midwest Panel Builders YouTube video. Flaps specific info starts a 3:10 but I'd watch the whole thing.

Hope that helps!

JQ

before the fix

before Garmin fixes this, what can we do?
Can i set the alarm at 55 psi, and then just mute /cancel it during taxi?

So i have an oil light on a pressure switch in addition to the G3X. I could set the G3X to 50 psi, and leave the switch set to the 10 or 15 psi it is now. During ground taxi, the idiot light will be off, but G3X will display "Oil Pressure".
Once i initiate take off roll, and the RPMs come up, then Garmin will stop bitching at me and all will be well. The only trouble with this is that while the Garmin master alarm is active due to low oil pressure, any other thing that goes wrong wont be recognized by the master alarm; once I throttle up, and the master alarm doesnt stop or deactivate, that could be the only time I will know some else is wrong.
I believe this can be accomplished by using logic signals. I'm no expert with this but I believe you can do this similar to how Midwest Panel Builders had a walkthrough on RPM range alerts based on oil temp for Rotax engines. You could setup an alert if the oil pressure was below 55psi if the RPM was over say 1800 RPM.

I recently setup an alert for my oil pressure as well (previous owner hadn't setup any alert ranges) and now it alerts me every time I land and pressure falls below the threshold.

I'm going to be setting up this up myself in the next few days. I can send pictures of the exact setup if needed after I get it programmed. If you get stuck, just reach out.

Here's the video I was referring to. They talk about the Rotax RPM programming at about the 1:00 mark. Believe the same logic would apply for setting up oil pressure range based RPM.

Good luck!

JQ

Back