What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron and Flaps Install

Sully73

I installed my flaps and ailerons. I matched the trailing edge (TE) of the ailerons to the wing tips then lined up the flaps TE to the ailerons TE. Everything looked good until I looked underneath and found the inboard TE of the right flap was 1/2 inch higher than the LH side. Any ideas?

Yes, reverse the process.

- Get the flaps all the way up, and left side same as right side.
- Align the aileron trailing edge with the flap trailing edge.
- Verify the ailerons are hung the same (up, down, in, out) not just the same trailing edge height.
- Now fix the wing tip to match the aileron trailing edge.

Side note - I recommend builders defer the wing tip until aileron and flap rigging complete - and verified with another set of eyes.

Carl

Use your airfoil pattern to set your ailerons. Then fit your flaps to your ailerons. Last, fit your wing tips to your ailerons.

RTM

I’m 99% sure for the 4 you need to line up the tooling holes with the TE.
or use the pattern as suggested above.
Ailerons first. Match flaps and tips to them.

Thanks

Thanks to all for taking the time to help me. I will try your ideas and let you know what I find out

Re-checked

Chapter Two:
I removed the wing tips, found the tooling holes in the last stringer and confirmed that the outboard corners of the ailerons are in the correct position.
Then I made a jig that measured the height of the TE relative to the top of the spar.
Left Aileron: I found that the TE of inboard end is 1/4" lower than the outboard end.
Right Aileron: I found that the TE of inboard end is 1/4" higher than the outboard end.

I assume this means I have a twist in the ailerons. Or could it mean that the attach points are off.
Bottom Line is.. This bothers me that the TEs don't line up perfectly but is this something I should be concerned about in terms of safety?

Perhaps not a twist, just hung wrong.

I suggest you order a set of “no hole” aileron brackets from Van’s. Decide where to put the new holes to get the ailerons moved the way you want them. Do a practice hole on the old bracket to verify you got the right place.

Remember, two directions for each new hole; up/down and in/out.

Carl

A twist should be easy to see if you lay the aileron on a flat table.
Same with flaps.

Using tooling holes did not work well for me. Ordering the paper template from Van's, using carbon paper to trace it on and cutting 3/4" particle board worked well.

Finn

I did the tooling hole method. Even when before final rigging to get the aileron hinge brackets mounted to wing. Easy to get it off just a little to where tooling hole method will not work. Do not start with wing tips.

Back