What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Audible Alerts Issue

rvanstory

Well Known Member
I have a full Garmin panel with the G3X touch system. About 75% of the time my audible alerts work just fine. But about 25% of the time, my audible alerts don't work properly. Sometimes there's no sound at all, other times there is sound, but it's just distorted static instead of the voice or the "dings".

I'm convinced it's not a wiring issue, as it seems to come and go based solely upon boot up. If it works, it works the whole time. If it doesn't work, it won't work the entire flight. Flying or not flying, it doesn't matter. It either works at bootup, or it doesn't.

One person suggested it might be a "audio priority" conflict within the system. So, today I booted up and rebooted the system about 100 times to see if I could duplicate the sequence that created (or solved) the problem. Nothing I did seemed to consistently create, or solve the problem. The only thing I was able to do consistently, is that IF the alerts were not working properly (no sound or only static) I could resolve the issue by pulling the PFD breaker and rebooting the PFD by itself. Then the audible alerts would begin working properly.

My setup is for the sound to feed to the PFD (not the auto setting). Changing that setting, did not change if it would work or not.

Anyone in the brain trust have a similar issue and possibly know what the cause might be? I REALLY don't want to start running new wires unless I know what the issue is.

Randy,

I had almost exactly the same problem with my GDU-465; the audio "dings" and voice alerts would occasionally be very distorted but still intelligible. I talked with Katie at Garmin and she suggested back-loading the previous software version, which I did, and that seemed to fix the problem. But it came back when I installed Version 9.0 software. Garmin never had a good answer as to why it was happening.

About that time the embedded SXM receiver quit working so I sent the whole GDU in for a warranty replacement. Got the reman'd box, uploaded Version 9.0 software, and haven't had a problem since. That wasn't a cheap fix, and not done specifically to address audio issues, but the distortion issue is gone.

One data point...hope it helps.

Dave

Dave,
Thank you for the insight! That's EXACTLY the info I was looking for. I had convinced myself it's in the GDU-465 software or hardware because of how it triggered (or not), and your experience confirms this is most likely the issue.

I am going to switch my PFD and MFD GDU-465's to see if it's isolated to one box (hardware) or if it's in the software. BTW, I have V9.0 too.

Thanks again for responding!!

Audio alerts - altitude

I have a GDU 460 and have never received the altitude alerts at 1000’, 200’ and the selected altitude alert, then an alert when more than 200’ outside of the selected altitude. I do receive all other alerts, voice and audible. The altitude alerts are supposed to have an audible and a flashing visible alert for 5 seconds at the alert stage, but I do not receive the 1000’ or the 200’ flashes but do receive the flashes as the system captures the selected altitude.

I have version 9.0 and have double checked the wiring, pin selection, and config selection. The g3xperts have assisted with everything that the manuals provide but no luck. They have asked engineering to assist and I have sent a copy of my config files and videos of the alerts (failure to alert) and engineering is trying to replicate my issues but no luck thus far.

Did you learn if your repair was the failure of the SX issue or was there a hardware malfunction of the alert system also.

What was the repair cost and how long did the repair take? Thanks

Friend had the same problem. WE found out it is hardware problem with the G3X.
Swapped the MFD with the PFD and audibles are working as they should.

Friend had the same problem. WE found out it is hardware problem with the G3X.
Swapped the MFD with the PFD and audibles are working as they should.

So glad to see this response. Gives me hope. I’ll be doing this tomorrow. Gives me hope for a cure.

GDU Audio Quality

So glad to see this response. Gives me hope. I’ll be doing this tomorrow. Gives me hope for a cure.

Hi Randy,

Give us a call and we can help you exchange your display to resolve this problem. 1-866-854-8433.

Thanks,

Justin

Back