What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spare hardware, and fly away kit

Rocinante

Couple of questions for the group;

1. What specific hardware (bolts, nuts, washers) do you keep on hand in the hanger for quick repair/replacements?

2. For those who have them, what tools and parts/hardware do you keep in your flyaway kit, if you have one?

I did a search for this here in the forums, but perhaps my search phrases specific enough

There are some threads, but can't hurt to refresh with a new one.

What I find with my RV-8 is that I actually need very few tools to do maintenance. What I did over the last year is to get two $5 harbor freight black canvas tool bags and started putting any tool I need to use on the aircraft in those bags. They are both about half full, and I can do almost everything with just those tools.

I also have common HW like 6-32 and 8-32 screws, AN4 nuts and bolts, and some washers.

I don't have a wing jack or jack for the tailwheel, so if I need something like that when traveling, I'll have to borrow one.

I'm sure there are things missing, but I'll (hopefully) eventually get there.

1. What specific hardware (bolts, nuts, washers) do you keep on hand in the hanger for quick repair/replacements?

2. For those who have them, what tools and parts/hardware do you keep in your flyaway kit, if you have one?

I did a search for this here in the forums, but perhaps my search phrases specific enough

I did what Mickey did. I carry that bag always, use same bag in hangar. I also carry tubes one for nose and main, one plug… Ezpeeze

Fly away kit

Been flying my 6A since 2005: I’ve had one flat tire away from home drone and one auto plug used by emag fail enroute.

I carry a small canvass tool bag hooked to the front spar with a small carabiner. I carry a plastic tub in the baggage area with spare tubes,oil,funnel,rag, plug, safety wire,duct tape and Spare electrical fuses.

Tools include wheel pant removal tools,tire removal tools, spark plug wrench,etc

When a tire blew at an unattended airport, I got out under the wingtip and used my back to lift the wing up while a passenger put some chocks under the wheel so I could fix the tire. No jack available. I’m only 5’6” and not particularly strong.

Some "must have" things for your flyaway kit:
1) duct tape
2) zip ties
3) safety wire
4) rescue tape or other self-fusing rubber tape
5) whatever vision-enhancing things you usually use (LED headlamp and half-rim reading glasses for me)
6) a small ziplock bag with other small bags inside it - parts holders for when you take stuff apart and need to put it back together
7) some common crimp-on connectors like 1/4" Fast-ons etc
8) some AN970 penny washers - sometimes they're just the thing to get you through in a pinch
9) big cotter pins for the axle nuts
10) spark plug sockets for BOTH spark plug sizes (18mm and 14mm) if you are like me and run one electronic ignition and one mag
11) rags or similar to clean your hands
12) one each large bottle of patience and good luck!

Thank you gentlemen!

I meant to respond sooner, but work, and other necessities, have gotten in the way and I’ve been away from my computer for a while.

I’ve been Building a little list of possible parts and equipment for the fly away kit, and I’ll definitely be using the suggestions from the threadto help me build that.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support!

Very timely topic - my son and I just bought an RV6A and had it flown to our home airport last Friday and while we await transition training we're thinking about things like this.
During the inspection we noted that one of the screws was missing from a wheel pant as well as from the trim piece that wraps around the tail/vertical stabilizer (sorry don't know many parts names yet). I also realized that in addition to replacing these screws (which I assume should be AN rated?) that I should pick up some extras of these and others (e.g. cowling screws, washers etc.) to have handy.
I was hoping Vans might offer an assortment pack - but haven't seen them. Would love to get some size suggestions.

Last edited:
Very timely topic - my son and I just bought an RV6A and had it flown to our home airport last Friday and while we await transition training we're thinking about things like this.
During the inspection we noted that one of the screws was missing from a wheel pant as well as from the trim piece that wraps around the tail/vertical stabilizer (sorry don't know many parts names yet). I also realized that in addition to replacing these screws (which I assume should be AN rated?) that I should pick up some extras of these and others (e.g. cowling screws, washers etc.) to have handy.
I was hoping Vans might offer an assortment pack - but haven't seen them. Would love to get some size suggestions.

Almost all fairing, cowl, cover screws are 6-32 or 8-32 in the 1/2" to 3/4" range and are non-structural. You can get stainless at the hardware store in a pinch but the MS51959 are actually cheaper when bought from the usual places like ACS and Wicks. They're actually better quality also...the Phillips slots are machined to hold a driver bit much better.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/ms51959.php

BTW, if you order anything form ACS and it's in stock at Midwest location, UPS ground to WI is usually delivered the next day.

Almost all fairing, cowl, cover screws are 6-32 or 8-32 in the 1/2" to 3/4" range and are non-structural.

I ordered a variety of sizes from Aircraft Spruce. Surprisingly, the screws that attach the trim piece at the base of the vertical stabilizer are 4/40 screws. Not sure why the builder chose that smaller size but fortunately I had no problem finding that size at AS.

A useful exercise is to determine what tasks you want to be able to perform in the field: remove cowling, clean spark plugs, put air in the tires, etc., and choose your tools for those tasks.

Another exercise is to figure out what hardware you're likely to drop. Also, have a supply of screws to replace those with heads that are worn and might be difficult to remove if you reuse them.

Back