What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle Cable Replacement

Eddie P

Well Known Member
Hi guys, I will be replacing the throttle cable in my upcoming annual CI as preventative maintenance. The throttle works fine now but the movement is not quite as smooth as the prop and mixture cables are. The prop and mixture cables were previously replaced due to friction in the cable during preventative maintenance. So it seems like a good idea to plan for the throttle. I'm the second owner of my RV-8 so I'm learning as I go and do not have the previous mixture and prop cable replacement experience to draw from.

There have been a few references to the Cablecraft cables (high heat tolerance) through some research on VAF threads in the past. Looks like push-pull.com is a good regional resource for me to purchase the replacement cables. I'd like to get ahead of the job by having parts on hand before removing the existing cables.

I spoke to "Dave" at www.push-pull.com the contact is 1-530-893-4060. He says the Cablecraft cables in this part design are newer with higher heat tolerance. They are the black cables. The part number we were talking about is "176-VTT-2.25-XX" (XX is your length from threaded rod top to threaded rod tip, and the 2.25 denotes the cable travel). The cables have a 10/32 threaded rod tip. They come with the cable and 7/16 fitting plus jam nut.

Questions:

1) What cable length are you all using for the throttle on the RV-8? I've read 60" but yes, I assume this could be variable depending on installation. I've got an IO-360 setup and a DJM throttle quadrant.
2) The 2.25 cable travel also look like something that could be different from aircraft to aircraft, any comments?
3) For guys who have replaced cables, should we be replacing more than just the "cable", is there an associated sheath that I should be looking for or is the sheath included with the cable?
4) Any feedback available on these throttle cables from the group?

Thanks to all, fly safe!
Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for that link Bruce! I've found other threads here through searching that were helpful, but this one you refer to is very nice. I just had not found it yet myself :)

Back