What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rain coming through hitting my legs

quinnjim

I just bought an RV-6A. I've owned 7 airplanes, and this is by far my favorite so far (Cherokee, Cirrus, J-3 Cub, Cessna 150, Cessna 182, V-Tail Bonanza).

I was flying yesterday and flew through a VERY light rain shower. I instantly felt water hitting my shins.

Where would this water be coming from? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks for any help you can offer a newbie RV guy!

Which...

Tip-up or slider canopy?
Tip up canopies can leak water in at the forward edge of the canopy.

Tip up. That seems like it could be bad for the avionics.

Yes - it IS bad for the avionics! Many have used a heavy fabric cover that goes from the panel to the sub-panel, velcroed in place to divert the water from getting into the expensive stuff. It doesn’t make it water-“proof”, but is significantly better than nothing.

What Paul said. A lot of water can enter in the vicinity of the canopy hinges. I never did get mine perfectly sealed to not have intrusion and damp shins in a real shower.

I would like to see some pictures of how the cover was done. I have a 9 tip up and was in a very light rain Saturday morning. No water inside but that is only because I got in the hangar quickly.

I've been curious why they didn't design it maybe similar to the Elixr LSA plane's canopy
or that someone hasn't done a modification to their build like it..
the hinge points are extended forward, and it looks like they have a little molded-in sill overlap to catch the leaks....

On my slider, I used painter’s tape. Peeled off some paint but I’m not sure that the primer was done properly.

Occasionally, the canopy is hard to pull back, so I’m reluctant to try any rubber seals.

I've used 3" vinyl tape across the front of the tip up and that worked best. Tried seals of all kinds and nothing sealed as well as some tape. It's not the most elegant answer and it's temporary for that flight, it works, dry legs and avionics.

Back