What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grab Bar for RV-12

[email protected]

Well Known Member
The new 12iS comes standard with a "Panel-mounted cockpit handle to aid entrance and exit" -- often described as a "grab bar." The "old" RV-12 doesn't have a grab bar, but I would like to add one to my 12.

Has anyone done that, and if so, how exactly did you do it?

My 12 has dual Dynon Skyview HDX displays and two vertically mounted Dynon Autopilot Control Panels, so there isn't room between the top of the Auto Control Panels and the very top of the instrument panel.

There is no kit per say, but you can purchase all of the parts needed and they will fit your RV-12.
The layout of your panel would obviously have to change because you can't put a handle where panel components are located.

There is no kit per say, but you can purchase all of the parts needed and they will fit your RV-12.
The layout of your panel would obviously have to change because you can't put a handle where panel components are located.

Thanks for this. But I’ve searched the entire Van’s Aircraft website, and I couldn’t find the page that offers individual parts for sale, nor a page that shows what parts I’d need in addition to the bar itself.

Not all parts are broken out into the web store.

Some people have downloaded THIS document and then ordered the parts the would need, over the phone through the orders department.

I have installed the handle in my 12 with no problem, however I do not believe you can install it with your present panel configuration. Parts that you need are:
The handle is part number F-00078
Left side bracket F-00077-L
Right side bracket F-00077-R
Nutplates (2) MS210055L08

you would also need counter sunk rivets and a couple of screws.

"Utility Pull" grab bar

"Utility Pull" grab bar for passenger mounted on right side of instrument panel.
Bulldog Hardware Part number: D-440, UPC 035061928765, 6.5" Black Utility Pull
I purchased it at Walmart $3. It is also available at home supply stores.
Gasket material is between handle and instrument panel.
enhance

enhance

Joe, Looks good. Two questions:

1. What is the handle anchored to behind the panel?
2. Did you have to remove the panel to attach the handle?

I do not know if it is necessary or not, but I put 1x2x0.63 inch aluminum
on the forward side of the instrument panel behind each grab handle base.
Yes, I removed top cover to gain access to the forward side of the instrument panel.
I used 10-32 machine screws and nuts. The screw holes need to be an inch or
more away from the top edge of the panel to avoid interference with the top cover flange.
The utility pull handle is made of thin steel. It is very light weight, being hollow.
Even so, it seems to be strong enough. Mine required deburring. I suppose
that the handle is made from flat sheet metal that is punched and formed.

I retrofitted the new egress handle to my RV-12 using page 29iSU-10 in th KAI.

Here is the list of parts I used:

Hardware
2- MS 21055LO8 nut plates
4- AN 426 AD 3-4 rivets
4- LP 4-3 rivets
14- CS 4-4 rivets

Vans Parts
1- F00078 Handle Weldment
1- F00077-L rib
1- F00077-R rib
1- F12133 (used for template only, cut to clear installed items on the panel)

Here are a few pictures of the process. The F12133 is trimmed and used as a template for drilling the mounting holes for the handle weldment, and cutting the slot in the instrument panel for the egress handle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q3NwYMmENGVpeHfW9

Last edited:
Back