What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Durango KDRO: La Plata airport - any advise?

MikeinPhoenix

Well Known Member
I'm planning a two night trip in a couple weeks to La Plata County airport near Durango, CO. I've not been here before and curious if anyone has flown in here and can offer any suggestions or a simple "heads-up" before we head that way.

Many thanks, Mike

I have flown in a twin cessna and the work jet, not yet in an RV or single - engine, but there is usually a wide array of various GA planes on the ramp. Generally, the density altitude is quite high, occasionally the winds are gusty, and there is steep high terrain to the east and north but the valley is spacious between the terrain to the east and the airport and down to the south. The south and west are the easiest to enter the valley from, the terrain immediately to the southwest is fairly flat but can be deceptive if on a visual approach to 3.

The airport is not near town, if that's a consideration, but there is car rental at the terminal as it is served from at least four major airports. Fuel is usually not cheap, and I don't think the FBO has amazing friendly reviews, double check their fees.

It is usually a beautiful flight in, especially as we start to get into fall. Some of the best golden color I've seen has been coming into the DRO area.

Last edited:
I flew into Animas last month overnight. Steel cable tie downs at the FBO and helpful as can be. No Uber/Lyft and no cars there, so getting anywhere has to be pre-arranged. There is a cliff on the approach that makes it interesting.

Thanks everyone for the great info and suggestions. Very much appreciated. We will need a rental car so it looks like KDRO is the best option. I was able to book through Avis. Hopefully the FBO will be kind as it relates to fees, etc.

All the best, Mike

The folks at the DRO FBO are great. They have a nice courtesy car for short stays. Nothing really unusual about the airport assuming you’re used to fairly high density altitude.

As others have said Animas Airpark also works but is a more challenging ridgetop airport. Uber was available pre-pandemic, but I almost always had the same driver and he was on O2. Maybe he’s not driving anymore. Enterprise used to deliver cars there, but I haven’t tried in some time. I almost always just take a bicycle. That’s not likely a good choice for the casual cyclist; it’s a good climb back to the airport.

Last edited:
He of the prettiest drives I ever made was from Pioania to Durango. Durango is a fun place to visit. We flew from Aspen to Durango and Crested Bute several times and it was nice flights. As long as you pay attention to the DA, the Rockys have some great places to visit. Have fun!

Animas option

We did a fall family trip from Tuscon to Durango last year and loved it. Fall foliage, Silverton train ride, wonderful wx. Hopped over to Telluride solo to explore and ride the free gondola. Beautiful area, no doubt.

We flew into Animas after coordinating a rental with Enterprise in advance. They still appear open on Google maps and their own website, though have somewhat limited weekend hours if that plays into your plans.

We borrowed a crew car to pick up & drop off the rental car, but they may be able to drop off at the FBO (typically must be an Enterprise Plus member with credit card on file). The rental office was just a 5 minute drive so my wife easily got the car while I tied down, etc. I’ve stopped there before and the FBO has always been friendly and helpful. Vaguely remember significant nightly/ramp fees at DRO, but not much/any at 00C. Just a craniums up; might be worth calling to clarify in advance if that matters to you.

Ryan, many thanks for the input. I did reach out to Enterprise near Animas...no availability of cars at that location for the dates we'll be there. I was able to get a car reservation at DRO and will be calling the FBO to see about fees. Their website shows an $11 "handling fee" which is waived with min 10 gallon gas purchase, but nothing showed for overnight fees so will have to call them.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate so we can enjoy a fun flight up there (we're heading up from Phoenix)! Lots of daily monsoon activity in Arizona right now.

All the best, Mike

Back