What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust System Lifetime

Vlad

Well Known Member
Nothing is wrong with my stock Vetterman exhaust system. Other then it is nearing 6K hours. I am about to change the engine and wondering if there is any study or data on exhaust joints fatigue. Is there any recommended time in service? Any methods to check it other then bubbling :)

Nothing is wrong with my stock Vetterman exhaust system. Other then it is nearing 6K hours. I am about to change the engine and wondering if there is any study or data on exhaust joints fatigue. Is there any recommended time in service? Any methods to check it other then bubbling :)

I replaced my exhaust and all other accessories of the engine when I did an overhaul at 2,200 hours. IF it looks good, it may go longer but the price of the exhaust is not a very high percentage increase when added to the price of a new engine or engine overhaul.

vmam, what's to say a new unit will last longer than the old one. fly on condition and check every year. enjoy the new engine. :D

I replaced my exhaust and all other accessories of the engine when I did an overhaul at 2,200 hours. IF it looks good, it may go longer but the price of the exhaust is not a very high percentage increase when added to the price of a new engine or engine overhaul.

Thanks Gary it makes sense. Did you buy new from Vans?

I replaced mine on the 10 at 2100 hours. There was nothing wrong with it that I could tell, but it was one less worry on my mind while slogging it in the ice over the gulf of Alaska.

Vic

Thanks Gary it makes sense. Did you buy new from Vans?

It was a little less money to buy direct from Vetterman at the time I replaced the exhaust. My original exhaust was purchased direct from Vetterman also.

Overhaul

Why buy new? Send to Vetterman and have them inspect and replace what is needed. I'm sure they would love too see a 6K system and what is wearing.

Thanks Turbo! I am slowly catching you on total time :D

yes Vman, you are a beast. keep on rolling along. come to FL some day, I have a new 100+ mph boat that is a blast. send me your email and will share some pics to enjoy. =VAF= RULES. :D

yes Vman, you are a beast. keep on rolling along. come to FL some day, I have a new 100+ mph boat that is a blast. send me your email and will share some pics to enjoy. =VAF= RULES. :D

Thanks Turbo! My email is [email protected] looking forward to the boat pictures!
BTW I was in Okeechobee on a brief unscheduled visit couple weeks ago. Didn't have time to zoom your way sorry :)

Back