What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Revision to SB-00036 document and replacement parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg, do you have data by serial number that would let us know if we own a pre punched horizontal or the earlier one? I ordered the earlier kit because I did not know.

I can only give you a maybe. That's some older info, and records from back in that period of time were on paper. I'd suggest you look at your rivet line and see if the rivets are equidistant from the edge of the material and between rivets as a start. In other words, does it look pre-punched? If the holes are not inline with each other, it's probably non-pre-punched. I can also see where there's a measurement we can provide. That might take me a day or two.

I have a question regarding this SB. I am in the process of building my Horizontal Stab and have the rear spar out and available for a fix. My tail kit was ordered in Jan 2022, and shipped sometime in April 2022.

I understand there are parts to order but I have not seen the plans for the fix itself. My question is; would it be wise while the spar is out and available; put a doubler on the opposite side of the hinge to spread the load of the rivets holding the hinges?

Please wait for the revised SB-00036 doc, which will be published in the next couple days. It will answer your questions.

And yes, you can incorporate the (new) SB parts into your build, and I would recommend doing so. I would not recommend fabricating your own doubler given the pending release of the new replacement parts. Wait for the Van's part that's designed/shaped/sized specifically for the purpose instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back