What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vlad's RV10

vinzer

Well Known Member
RV10 build by Vlad

Hello everyone!

I just ordered my tailcone/empennage kit for RV-10 and can't wait to receive it and start my project.
I am sure there will be tons of questions from my side, so for now I read this forum and trying to remember as many things as I can :)

By the way I am based in Canada (British Columbia).

Last edited:
Welcome to best hobby on Earth! VAF archives have tons of useful information for a new builder just keep digging if your question is not immediately answered.
Where in BC are you located? Love your territory :)

Congrats on jumping in the deep end of the pool with us.

"Do something everyday" is probably the best advice you will ever get.

...and

Set up a Cuss Jar in your shop.

Each time you cuss, put a dollar in that jar.

When you get to the Avionics purchase, empty the jar...

...and

And you will be AMAZED how fast that jar fills when working on:

The cabin top

The doors

The wheel pants

The cowling

The inlet ramps

Yee Haa!

Welcome to best hobby on Earth! VAF archives have tons of useful information for a new builder just keep digging if your question is not immediately answered.
Where in BC are you located? Love your territory :)

Привет Влад!
Believe or not but you are one of these guys who inspired me to build my own RV aircraft ;)
I actually read lots of your trip reports here at this forum as well as on some Russian aviation forums!
I am from Vancouver (Lower mainland) area. I know you been here during some of your "cross North America" trips!
Many years ago (in 90x) I was also in ВВС РФ :D
If you plan to visit our side of the Canada just let me know and I will be glad to meet with you in person!

Guys!
Thank you for welcoming me here at this GREATEST source of information for all RV owners and builders. ;)
I am sure that I will have tons of questions and even more.
I know how to use Search button, so for sure will try to find me answer before posting a question :)

Will keep updating here in this thread about my build status.

Cuss vs. Profanity

how do you do the accounting when one strings 4 or 5 cuss words directly together?

I was once lectured about the difference between cussing and profanity. A single cuss word is merely an exclamation and is totally acceptable when a truck runs over your foot, or you rivet that bracket on the wrong stiffener. The artful weaving of many cuss words together, although poetic, is profanity and is not acceptable.... at least according to the YMCA camp counseled who was yelling at me (many many years ago). But it must have been an important conversation to have stuck with me all these decades.

My vote: the more profanity, the better your panel will be. Be sure to have a big jar

fact

That's a fact...

It was truly amazing how those simple cuss words would just flow freely into sentences and phrases without even thinking about how to link them together...:eek:

As far as what to put in the jar, well, I would put a buck in for each individual word...unless it was really poetic, then it was worth more.

I suggest you go to Sam's or Costco and start with one of those big pretzel or cheese ball jugs. That will give you a good start.:D

Last edited:
Wow, second Vlad! Great to have you on board. I'm not flying anymore, but I love to keep up. Enjoy the ride, then you get to FLY

Wow, second Vlad! Great to have you on board. I'm not flying anymore, but I love to keep up. Enjoy the ride, then you get to FLY

Thank you!
And Thank you to all of you for warm welcoming! :)

So far I started my project! Already at Section 6 and working on my rudder assembly. I also document my progress in my video blog on youtube.

I made my first steps :)

Section6, Page6-2, Steps1-6
IMG-9627.jpg

IMG-9626.jpg

So many more steps to go!:cool:

Last edited:
And another day when I was able to work on my project :)
Now it looks like a read airplane part!

IMG-9641.jpg

IMG-9645.jpg

IMG-9646.jpg

It's always cool to see something(s) come together and look more and more like an airplane!

Set up a Cuss Jar in your shop.

Each time you cuss, put a dollar in that jar.

When you get to the Avionics purchase, empty the jar...

Wau It is only about 30-40 hours in build and I think I already have enough dollars in my jar to purchase another pneumatic squeezer :D

IMG-9710.jpg

Last edited:
Привет Влад!
Believe or not but you are one of these guys who inspired me to build my own RV aircraft ;)

you are not alone. I met Vlad at a flyin about a month after I started my flight training... The following week I ordered my kit lol

First big step: assembly of my vertical stabilizer has been completed today!
Now I am officially have first airplane part assembled on my own.
...and still so many to assemble :D

IMG-9755.jpg

IMG-9758.jpg

Pre cover inspection

First big step: assembly of my vertical stabilizer has been completed today!
Now I am officially have first airplane part assembled on my own.
...and still so many to assemble :D

IMG-9755.jpg

IMG-9758.jpg

Did you close up entirely? Is there access to see every rivet you set? Just curious as there is a pre-cover inspection requirement in Canada.
Congrats for the big achievement though.

Last edited:
Did you close up entirely? Is there access to see every rivet you set? Just curious as there is a pre-cover inspection requirement in Canada.
Congrats for the big achievement though.

Thank you! This is a first and big step for me! :)
Yes, I closed it entirely. I verified and I am able to see with naked eye and a light each and every rivet around the stabilizer as well as inside through the holes in the bottom ribs.
However for my next part - rudder, I will likely keep one side opened until inspection because you are right - in Canada the rules are strict :confused: and inspector may want to see each and every rivet.

I 've started to work on my Rudder now. Lots of cutting is involved in this part ;) Looks like VAN's moves me to a new level where I have to cut parts out of bigger parts and at some point I will not be surprised to see one huge part for complete step and instructions: Cut to your needs and use file to make it to desired shape :D

Few pictures from my shop below

IMG-9783.jpg

IMG-9785.jpg

IMG-9814.jpg

IMG-9816.jpg

IMG-9821.jpg

IMG-9823.jpg

Hey there Vlad

Looks like an amazing shop and job you are doing. I am right behind you on the RV10 build. Will be on the rudder in a couple days. Keep the Pictures coming.

Cheers

Jarvis

Hey there Vlad

Looks like an amazing shop and job you are doing. I am right behind you on the RV10 build. Will be on the rudder in a couple days. Keep the Pictures coming.

Cheers

Jarvis

Hey! Thank you for your feedback!
Will keep pictures and videos coming and good luck with your build!
For rudder do not forget to purchase tank sealant in advance- it takes some to get it shipped and you will need it for final assembly.

Two months have passed. What’s done what’s not?

Hello guys! Hello Vlad!

Its being a while since I have not posted here. Sorry. Was busy with everything + COVID thing. I know, no excuses when building RV-10, reports should be posted periodically :D
So here is my report:

Vertical stab completed 100%
Rudder completed 90% (waiting for inspection before closing)
Horizontal stab completed 90% (waiting for inspection before closing)
Elevators completed 80% (waiting for inspection before closing + planning to rebuild trailing edges)
Tailcone completed 40% (working on it right now, hope to finish it soon)

My wings kit is on its way, few days ago got confirmation from VANs about crating process and completed my payment. So will soon start to work on my wings :)

So far everything goes smooth, my wife and kids help me alot with this build.
I am updating my youtube channel with new videos about my build as well as my blog page. Both can be found in my signature.

On another note I am just curious if someone is currently selling or planning to sell fuselage and finishing kit. I know sometimes people give up on building or changing their minds. Anyway just curious as I would probably want to buy these kits if some one is selling. I will post in classifieds WTB.

Here are some pictures:

Last edited:
Vlad, do you have any plans for this year to visit Canada, specifically British Columbia ? :)

I do. Need to check one grass strip a good friend of mine is building in the woods :)

PS love your trip videos on saon.ru

I do. Need to check one grass strip a good friend of mine is building in the woods :)

PS love your trip videos on saon.ru

Thank you Vlad! If you plan to be around CYPK let me know, I will be more than happy to meet with you, show you around and show you my small shop :)

Looking great Vlad - you?re going to love the plane!

Can't wait to start on wings ;) Still have something to work on with my elevators though. It's good to know that despite all this COVID situation VANs stays with in their normal delivery schedule for kits.

Привет Влад!
I actually read lots of your trip reports here at this forum as well as on some Russian aviation forums!
I am from Vancouver (Lower mainland) area. I know you been here during some of your "cross North America" trips!
Many years ago (in 90x) I was also in ВВС РФ :D
If you plan to visit our side of the Canada just let me know and I will be glad to meet with you in person!

Vlad inspired me also... Путешественник с Советской звездой на хвосте..

Finally, after exactly 3 years of building my RV10 passed final inspection (aka Canadian DAR). C-FFVX is now officially an airplane and is airworthy. Almost ready for the first flight, just need a bit more time to receive my paperwork before I can move on :D
Happy man!
Thanks to Jim for very thorough inspection and very detailed review of my build. Now I am sure it is safe to fly.

For everyone who is building - keep riveting, it pays a lot at the end ;)

Attachments

• D955D913-3531-4BC2-82C7-809EC08F5ADF.jpg
    D955D913-3531-4BC2-82C7-809EC08F5ADF.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 233
  • F4506C7B-4E3B-43CB-A44C-57C9AB774669.jpg
    F4506C7B-4E3B-43CB-A44C-57C9AB774669.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Congrats Vlad !!!

If you fly as far as Montreal
would be nice if you stop by for SHASHLIK and VODKA !!

Julian!!!
CSE4

If you fly as far as Montreal
would be nice if you stop by for SHASHLIK and VODKA !!

Julian!!!
CSE4

Thank you :D will definitely visit there one day - my wife is from there and her parents live at West Island.
Sounds great especially shashlik part ;) Vodka helps to consume shashlik!

Good Job Vlad! It was great to meet you and I look forward to your next trip to the States. Next time you fly left seat in my -10!

-Marc

Congratulations Vlad !!

Congratulations Vlad on getting the inspection done !!
3 years only to build a 10, impressive !! Did you log the hours working on the project ??
Go and enjoy discovering and learning to know the ins and outs of your new airplane.

Good Job Vlad! It was great to meet you and I look forward to your next trip to the States. Next time you fly left seat in my -10!

-Marc

Thank you Marc! It was indeed nice to meet with you!
Will definitely be happy to fly with you in your beautiful RV10 in the spring ‘23 when on spring break with my kids in Cali ;)
Should you be around our “far north” we will fly my as well.

Back