What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA registration online

Civil Aviation Registry Electronic Services (CARES):

"The Civil Aviation Registry Electronic Services (CARES) is a new online tool that provides web-based services for registration of all U.S. aircraft for individual U.S. aircraft owners. On December 5, 2022, individual aircraft owners will be able to:

• Complete and digitally sign self-guided aircraft registration applications;
  • Upload legal and supplemental documents;
  • Receive auto-generated notifications;
  • Request aircraft registration N numbers; and
  • Make online payments.
Future releases will expand the online services to include aircraft registration by third parties and enable the certification of all U.S. airmen and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). Future phases of the Congressionally mandated initiative will serve FAA certificate-holders such as pilots and mechanics. "​

Last edited:
FAA Online registration system

Has anyone used and been successful with the new online registration portal?

How long did it take to get your aircraft registered?

I submitted my initial EAB registration online today and will post the results……..

Last edited:
I could use some guidance on the process

My DAR suggested the AWC portal would give me the form 8130-6 and we could confer regarding AWC and data plate terms , spelling etc. The online form is huge with over 50 pages of definitions and instructions😒. But, then it says to submit to the FAA. The last two AWC I got from FSDO and we worked on the paperwork together to avoid any OKC pushback.

Any guidance here. I expected to polish the paperwork with my DAR.

Has anyone used and been successful with the new online registration portal?

How long did it take to get your aircraft registered?

I submitted my registration online today and will post the results……..

Just as a data point for the old system, I bought my RV-12 last June 2022. I just got my FAA registration card a few weeks ago, Dec 2022. I, too, am curious to see how it goes.

Initial registrations take precedence and usually returned within a week.

Others can take 6 - 8 months.

Are we still blaming all these registration delays on Covid or is there another factor at play here? Asking for a friend 🙄

Reserved? Stonwaled?

I tried to reserve a # for my RV15 during OSHKOSH last time. Haven’t gotten a response. It did take my $10

I tried to reserve a # for my RV15 during OSHKOSH last time. Haven’t gotten a response. It did take my $10

I reserved a number on June 20th and just got acknowledgement on January 3rd. The good thing is the number is reserved till next January.

You can go to this page and get a rough idea of how backlogged the registration department is:
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/

Looks like you should hear something soon.

Need help with online AWC

I get logged in OK

The form asks for identification number. My DAR says “Do Not use reserved number” in this initial request.

Clicking the red * items goes no where.

All I get on 866 835 5322 is recordings.

How can I move forward ?

Online registration, don’t waste your time!

I tried the online reservation system for an initial EAB registration on Jan 10th.
I followed the steps and waited patiently for a reply. Today I received an email from the FAA that contained a letter requesting original signed documents that they required me to file online. I called them today and after an hour and a half on hold I spoke to an examiner. I was informed that the FAA was pushed by a federal mandate to get the online system up and running. I was also told that they had multiple issues with the system and it was best to send all documentation to them via mail or courier. Only documents that have a certified electronic signature will be accepted using the online system. All other ink signed documents must be sent in.

Don’t waste your time with the online system. Send in all the original documentation to get your aircraft registered.

It's not just aircraft registrations - I sent in paperwork for a new airport the first week of September, nothing yet.

Online Registration Update

Today my registration shows valid on the FAA website.
Performed initial online registration on January 10, and after sending
requested original signed documents via FED EX to FAA, the valid
registration date shows January 23. It was a 13 day process to register EAB. Waiting on paper registration via usps.

What does registered mean ?

OK, you have a reserved number but it is not assigned until an AWC is issued, right ? So I send in the paperwork , OKC returns it as registered and the DAR puts the reserved N number on the paperwork ?

OK, you have a reserved number but it is not assigned until an AWC is issued, right ? So I send in the paperwork , OKC returns it as registered and the DAR puts the reserved N number on the paperwork ?

You cannot apply for airworthiness certificate until the aircraft is registered.

When you apply for registration, you use your reserved number.

All information on the Airworthiness application (8130-6) is based on the registration and must be an exact match.

I bought my -10 about 8 months ago, went through the usual paper registration process and finally got my registration certificate about 2 months ago. I created an account on the new system but I haven't been able to figure out how to link my existing registration to this account. Has anyone been able to do that?

Thanks.

Good thing you only need to deal with this every 7 years now instead of 3...maybe this is why they made it twice as hard to deal with.

Good thing you only need to deal with this every 7 years now instead of 3...maybe this is why they made it twice as hard to deal with.

The online renewal process for a registration has always been very simple. You go to the link supplied in the notice you get in the mail, enter the access code that’s in the notice, click the button that no information has changed and pay your five dollars with a credit card. Done.

Just reiterating, what Mel already mentioned, having a reserved registration number doesn’t mean anything because it is not assigned to a specific aircraft, it is just assigned to you for your personal use when you choose to.
The first thing you have to do is register your aircraft using your reserved registration number. As Mel also mentioned, new registrations have priority in the system, and that is usually completed within 2 to 3 weeks.
Once you have your aircraft registered, that information is available within the AWC system. You can then log into AWC and select to do a new certification application and then type in your registration number and it will Auto populate all of the relevant info for completing your application.

28 days start to finish using the online registration system. Submitted online registration on January 10th, received paper registration Feb 7th

Glad the registration process is done.

Back