What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 Project MERRITT ISLAND, FL

Timinfla2

Hi folks,
My name is Tim and I wanted to introduce myself.

Building and flying an RV has been a dream of mine ever since I got my PPL back in 2006. Well I'm happy to say that only a short 17 years since, I am about to make my dream come true.

I am not sure how the stars aligned so well but an aviation idol of mine who I have befriended at my local airport let me know about an RV10 kit that was soon to be coming up for sale.

The fuselage is darned near complete - the previous builder was just about to start rigging when he was called away. This was over 2 years ago and it has sat since. The wings are assembled awaiting the bottom skins. The fuel tanks have passed the pressure check - at least they did a little over 2 years ago. I'm hoping nothing has changed.

I'll be honest, this project is daunting. I am afraid I won't be up to the task, but thankfully I have some amazing friends who have built airplanes before who are very eager to show me the way if/when I get stuck.

I'm so grateful to the seller for working with me because he had several other interested parties (probably with deeper pockets) but for whatever reason, he chose to work with me and allow me the chance to fulfill an almost two-decades old dream.

I still need to order the finishing kit which (unfortunately) seems to be taking about 18 months to fulfill at the moment, but at least that will give me time to finish what I have and hopefully do some planning for the future. I am not even sure how to order the kit - I guess I'll go to the Van's website and poke around :). Or heck who knows, maybe I'll find an orphaned finishing kit for sale somewhere. Stranger things have happened...

If anybody is out in my neck of the woods feel free to come by and give a holler, it'd be great to meet you.

If anybody has any tips for a build at this stage in the process of things they wish they could have done different, I'd love to hear it. Thanks to you all for the tons of data and info you've provided as I did my research.

If the sale goes thru, there are some paperwork things:
1. Get the "builder number" from the previous owner. That makes dealing with Vans easier, as they keep track of this sort of thing.
2. Get as much paperwork as possible. Logs, photos showing amateur builders at work (see below). Construction manuals, etc.
2. I think it is advised to get a signed statement from the previous owner, saying that he (or others - names needed) has done all the work to-date. This may be needed when you come to final FAA inspection, where you will be asked if there was any paid assistance used (and if so, how much). As you know or should know, 51% of the total work (total includes work already done by Vans) (calculated using a mysterious FAA checklist) must be done by unpaid "amateurs".
3. Does the previous owner have any tools he wishes to sell, that you may need? Doesn't hurt to ask.
4. Start looking for a hangar, unless you have a place to build at home. Hangars can be hard to come by.
Good luck!

HI Bob, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. That is all great advice and just the sort of thing I was looking for. I didn't even know to get the Builder Number, but that does make complete sense.

Thankfully zero work was done by builder assist and we will have the build logs/photos to show that.

The seller in question did offer to throw his tools in with the sale, which was VERY kind of him and thankfully I already have a hanger ready to go.

The stars really aligned for me on this one. I really appreciate your tips, they've already helped a bunch.

I have never seen a second hand finishing kit come on the market by itself so if you end up buying this, I would order the kit right away from Van’s to ensure you have it on hand when needed. Same goes for the engine. The supply chain is way to erratic at this time to have any accurate lead times. Besides, ordering now usually comes with a pricing lock. Wait on any avionics decisions until the very end but also keep in mind the lead times and backlog.

Good luck on the project, you will love the finished product; make sure you have ALL the Bill of Sale's to show the ownership trail from Van's to you.

RV 10 Project

You may also want to get the RV 10 plans on a memory stick. Van's offers this, and it's very convenient (the current drawing revisions may be different than your build). The Van's site also offers detailed SBs by model. You're level of support, from this site and Van's, couldn't be better!

I have never seen a second hand finishing kit come on the market by itself so if you end up buying this, I would order the kit right away from Van’s to ensure you have it on hand when needed. Same goes for the engine. The supply chain is way to erratic at this time to have any accurate lead times. Besides, ordering now usually comes with a pricing lock. Wait on any avionics decisions until the very end but also keep in mind the lead times and backlog.

Thank you that's great advice - I assumed it was a shot in the dark :) I also didn't consider that there would be a large lag in engines. Yikes, I'll get to that sooner than later. Good catch!

Good luck on the project, you will love the finished product; make sure you have ALL the Bill of Sale's to show the ownership trail from Van's to you.

Ah yes, I can see how that would be important on multiple levels. Thank you.

You may also want to get the RV 10 plans on a memory stick. Van's offers this, and it's very convenient (the current drawing revisions may be different than your build). The Van's site also offers detailed SBs by model. You're level of support, from this site and Van's, couldn't be better!

Skip, I have a set of plans in PDF form that the original builder sent to me on Google Drive. I supposed these would be the same but is there a good way to know?

Better yet, have there been revisions in the plans since this kit was started (2015) that I might be better advised to follow? Or should I stick with the plans that came with the original kit?

Thanks for the tip!

RV 10 Project

When building, build to the latest revision.
The revision of the drawing is in the Title Box in either (left or right) lower corner of each drawing.
The most current drawings will be on the stick. These most current drawings may include parts that are not in your kit. Order these parts and include them in the build of your kit.
After a kit ships, there may be an improvement made to this kit. The latest revision will include this improvement/addition to the kit. Adding these additions during the build is always easier then adding them after the build is complete.

I'm in almost exactly your boat, bought the project and waiting on finishing kit. What seems to be almost unknown:

YOU HAVE ACCESS FOR FREE to the full plans online once you get registered at Vans with your builder number. Go to Store, Sign In, then click your name, and then under My Aircraft, click "Download Kit Plans" and you can download each chapter individually. It's a little wonky but it works!

Like I said we are in the same boat. It would be great to touch base from time to time.

Skip, I have a set of plans in PDF form that the original builder sent to me on Google Drive. I supposed these would be the same but is there a good way to know?

Better yet, have there been revisions in the plans since this kit was started (2015) that I might be better advised to follow? Or should I stick with the plans that came with the original kit?

Thanks for the tip!

Hey Skip, are you saying the online version isn't kept up to date? Looks like it's up to date to me, but there aren't any notifications about what has been changed or why, just changed dates in the corner. I'd like to run a detailed a document comparison report, but I don't have the originals, and it might be tricky for PDFs.

So good idea: I can call Vans and see if they can run such a report and tell me what I need to update. Excellent.

Last edited:
I'm in almost exactly your boat, bought the project and waiting on finishing kit. What seems to be almost unknown:

YOU HAVE ACCESS FOR FREE to the full plans online once you get registered at Vans with your builder number. Go to Store, Sign In, then click your name, and then under My Aircraft, click "Download Kit Plans" and you can download each chapter individually. It's a little wonky but it works!

Like I said we are in the same boat. It would be great to touch base from time to time.

Heck yeah, it's great to meet you! Today was a good day, I was able to call vans and officially transfer the builder number into my name. I just had to send in a bill of sale and the liability agreement.

One of the things I'm concerned about now is prior to ordering the finishing kit or for that matter the firewall forward kit, there are likely things I'm going to delete because I'm probably going to go with aftermarket solutions, for example I hear wheels and brakes are definitely a couple of items that you should go to the aftermarket for.

The complicating thing is figuring out what I need to delete at this stage of the game when I know so little.

3/21 Update

It's been a month now! Man how time flies.

Liz and I have been spending a lot of time at the hangar, mostly figuring out where the project left off and where we go next. Oh an tons of time organizing, reorganizing, buying tools and then yes some more organizing.

I was VERY hung up trying to fabricate the four F-10104 rudder cable links because the material was so unbelievably hard to cut - 0.050 4130 steel.

The FBO has a jump shear that didn't even put a dent in it. The local legend here at the airport happens to be only a few hangars down from me and it took him about 5 minutes to whip up links for me that would have taken me 5 weeks. Thank God for Wes - Liz and I have said that about a hundred times already and we've barely started building.

Just the same, I ruined one of the pieces so I started googling and I got VERY lucky - there is an amazing water jet place right across the airport from me run by a very talented and helpful young man Anthony Silva over at Apex Fabrication - check him out if you're in the area and you need anything.

Also huge shout out to JosiaDroid on here who has the links mocked up in CAD on Thingiverse. Super helpful dude!

So now I have the linkages primed and drying and waiting for install.

This is a long post because, well, I'm not good at updating things.

While waiting on the linkages we pretty much wrapped up the remaining part of section 39. The only thing that remains is finishing the connection of the Elevator Pushrod and then checking to ensure everything is connected. Thank God for Liz and her tiny little fingers (and her adept wielding of the washer-pliers) to get those tiny little washers on each end of the gimbal in those pushrods!

I am concerned that I don't see any torque values for the fasteners throughout the controls system. I imagine that they only want things hand-tight until final rigging? I guess we shall see.

I've some pics to share of the 'progress' thus far.

Attachments

• IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 152
Tim and Liz,

Huge congrats on your -10 project! Like the opening lines in Section 5 of the Manual state, "you will feel every emotion during the process of this build" (paraphrased).

I started off with a slow build -10 project years ago. I believe the first rivet I drove literally disappeared because I had the compressor at 100psi. Learned lots since then and you will, too. Got 1,500 hours into the -10 and had to sell because of the economy crashing in 2008. It flew not long afterward. I agree, it can seem daunting at first.
  • Never look at the total sum of what's left to complete.
  • Look at the next piece of the project.
  • Work at least a little every day you are able.
  • Don't forget to look backward once in a while to see your progress.

After a few more years, tried again on a -7 slow build project. Elected to build this one in my garage and wait for the expense of a hangar until I needed to move. Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs) took my house, all possessions, including the -7 project (850 hours) in 2012. Thought I wouldn't really need Builder's Insurance because it was at my house! I knew it wasn't covered, but was sure I could keep it safe...wrong!
  • Give Gallagher Insurance a call for Builder's Insurance. I deal with Leah and she's great help! I found out anything aircraft related, even tools that came from a company with "aircraft" or similar in their name were not covered in my fire.

Got situated again and decided to try a Quickbuild -7 this time. Guess what??? Got the Airworthiness Certificate 28 January, 2023. Got TW endorsement a few months before that. First one of my collection of aircraft I was actually able to start up, taxi, and play with avionics! Five more hours of transition training and I'm flying!

I believe you mentioned someone named, Wes. There are so many that are so helpful and knowledgeable.
  • Have lots of "Weses" in your life.
  • I've made so many great friends doing this, and many are on VAF.
  • I'm blessed like you, and my wife Tracey helps whenever I need her. She also encourages me to get this thing done! We've had some really cool experiences together building the plane and just hangin' out at the hangar.
  • Have good music playing in the hangar...always.
  • Beer Fridge, or equivalent.
  • Invite people to come look at your project.
  • If you haven't yet been to OSH....go!

Thanks for your service to our country!

Okay....tired of typing now. This project is literally a life-changer. Congrats to you and Liz!

When you get it flying...visit us in Colorado Springs. Maybe we'll buzz Merritt Island, soon!

Torque or hand tighten

One thing you wrote was about torque values and if you want to hand tighten and torque later. I do not have enough discipline to do it that way. I am afraid I would forget to go back and torque or tighten. A couple things I did to help me remember what was flight ready and what wasnt.

1. Nyloc nuts are are a ONE time use. Sure, you can use them more than once and they would most likely work fine in some locations but anything that is a critical structure, replace them after use
2. Keep a tube of Torque Marking Paint with you whenever you have a wrench in your hand. When you tighten a nut, use the paint to show it is tightened.

The torque values should be listed in the manual by bolt size.

Have fun with your build. It took me almost 10 years of off-on work but I am flying now and having a blast. As was mentioned, go to Sun and Fun if you get a chance. Even if just for a day you will really enjoy it and get even more excited. It is a good place to pick up extra hardware and take photos of other planes that are finished to help yu with your build.

Tim and Liz,

Huge congrats on your -10 project! Like the opening lines in Section 5 of the Manual state, "you will feel every emotion during the process of this build" (paraphrased).

I started off with a slow build -10 project years ago. I believe the first rivet I drove literally disappeared because I had the compressor at 100psi. Learned lots since then and you will, too. Got 1,500 hours into the -10 and had to sell because of the economy crashing in 2008. It flew not long afterward. I agree, it can seem daunting at first.
  • Never look at the total sum of what's left to complete.
  • Look at the next piece of the project.
  • Work at least a little every day you are able.
  • Don't forget to look backward once in a while to see your progress.

After a few more years, tried again on a -7 slow build project. Elected to build this one in my garage and wait for the expense of a hangar until I needed to move. Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs) took my house, all possessions, including the -7 project (850 hours) in 2012. Thought I wouldn't really need Builder's Insurance because it was at my house! I knew it wasn't covered, but was sure I could keep it safe...wrong!
  • Give Gallagher Insurance a call for Builder's Insurance. I deal with Leah and she's great help! I found out anything aircraft related, even tools that came from a company with "aircraft" or similar in their name were not covered in my fire.

Got situated again and decided to try a Quickbuild -7 this time. Guess what??? Got the Airworthiness Certificate 28 January, 2023. Got TW endorsement a few months before that. First one of my collection of aircraft I was actually able to start up, taxi, and play with avionics! Five more hours of transition training and I'm flying!

I believe you mentioned someone named, Wes. There are so many that are so helpful and knowledgeable.
  • Have lots of "Weses" in your life.
  • I've made so many great friends doing this, and many are on VAF.
  • I'm blessed like you, and my wife Tracey helps whenever I need her. She also encourages me to get this thing done! We've had some really cool experiences together building the plane and just hangin' out at the hangar.
  • Have good music playing in the hangar...always.
  • Beer Fridge, or equivalent.
  • Invite people to come look at your project.
  • If you haven't yet been to OSH....go!

Thanks for your service to our country!

Okay....tired of typing now. This project is literally a life-changer. Congrats to you and Liz!

When you get it flying...visit us in Colorado Springs. Maybe we'll buzz Merritt Island, soon!

Wow Sean thank you so much for the encouraging words and great advice. My heart broke for you twice reading that - holy smokes. But man what a happy ending! I will be speaking with Gallagher straightaway because I'm no stranger to Murphy or his damnable Law.

A trip out west will be a dream for us, so yes you can count on us heading that way once we're up and running. Thank you again!

One thing you wrote was about torque values and if you want to hand tighten and torque later. I do not have enough discipline to do it that way. I am afraid I would forget to go back and torque or tighten. A couple things I did to help me remember what was flight ready and what wasnt.

1. Nyloc nuts are are a ONE time use. Sure, you can use them more than once and they would most likely work fine in some locations but anything that is a critical structure, replace them after use
2. Keep a tube of Torque Marking Paint with you whenever you have a wrench in your hand. When you tighten a nut, use the paint to show it is tightened.

The torque values should be listed in the manual by bolt size.

Have fun with your build. It took me almost 10 years of off-on work but I am flying now and having a blast. As was mentioned, go to Sun and Fun if you get a chance. Even if just for a day you will really enjoy it and get even more excited. It is a good place to pick up extra hardware and take photos of other planes that are finished to help yu with your build.

Outstanding thanks for the tips - Torque Marking Paint is officially on order.

Section 40

I started on Section 40 the Flap System today. The hardest part of the challenge was figuring out where the parts were and ultimately I ended up quitting early because I thought I was missing a torque tube.

Spoiler alert: I wasn't missing it, it was right under my nose but more on that later.

So I got in today and started going through the steps. Everything was going fine but MAN that material is TOUGH to drill through. I ended up breaking a #12 bit on my second to last hole on Step 4 but I was able to finish it up with a spare.

Then I disassembled and deburred and marked those parts for installation on the LH side of the plane. Then per the instructions, I needed to make a mirror image for the RH side of the plane. There was one problem - I only had the one torque tube WD-1013C. I looked everywhere and sadly with plenty of daylight and work time left, I finally resigned myself to ordering a new one from Vans so I could continue the build.

Collecting all the tools and accounting for them, cleaning them, and the work area is an end-of-day routine for me that has served me well. Cluttered workshop is the sign of a cluttered mind, and so-on.

As I got back from emptying the trash, I looked on the gray plastic mechanics cart that I often use and in the bottom what do I see? The missing WD-1013C torque tube. Dang it all, I could have finished both sides today! Oh well, what's a day on a journey this big?

Attachments

• 70120414983__15C1407F-43B0-4FBD-A814-BA835DE51161.jpg
    70120414983__15C1407F-43B0-4FBD-A814-BA835DE51161.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 77
Well shucks. Sometimes it's just a good day even when things don't go perfect.

I was continuing work on the flap torque tube assembly and when I pulled them out of the box I was uncomfortable with the amount of rust I saw on them. After getting some advice on here and from the local airport wiz kids, Liz (celebrating her 39th trip around the sun) went ahead and scotchbrite'd them back to a beautiful blemish free shine.

I put a quick coat of self-etching rattle can primer on the freshly-renewed material, even though I know it's going to probably scrape off in pieces when I bolt everything back together. Trying to not let perfect be the enemy of good.

And then of course came the four F-1030 bushings. Or lack of. I can't find them for the life of me. Oh well, I'm ordering the new updated flap motor from Van's anyway, so I'll go ahead and tack on an order for the 4 bushings as well.

But on the website they say they are backordered so I have NO idea when they'll actually arrive.

So now I'm going to see if I can just find that material on Grainger or something and fab some of my own perhaps?

The evening ended with a fantastic hangar party with family and friends. We ordered pizza, our cousin brought the brown water and Wes came down to entertain everybody. All in all another great day at the hangar.

Been a while since I updated things...

So I'm selling my Amphib and my motorhome and I'm looking for an RV6 or 7 to fly around during the build of my 10. Just to keep the enjoyment quotient high while I wait for parts, kits, or primer to dry.

The hero of KCOI, Wes, fabricated those flap torque tube bushings for me and they look great. I definitely thing they will fit the bill.

I also got around to priming the inside of the tubes today using the 'Bore Punch' method. It was a bit messy but thorough and it felt more complete than just sloshing primer around inside the tube.

I ordered the SkyDesigns ER tank kit so I'm now in the middle of taking my perfectly freakign good and leak-checked tanks off my wings just so I can put the new ER tanks on. Yea some might say it's silly and at times I question my sanity when I see how much further I have to go before I can finally fly this plane, but I know I'd kick myself if I had a beautifully painted, running airplane that I then would have to take out of commission and potentially ruin a nice paint job just to retrofit the ER tanks.

I also ordered some FlyLED's from Flyboy Accessories. I got 'The Works' kit and for an extra $150 I had them solder the connections. Can't lose with that deal. I did see that the wings are already cut and prep for landing lights so I'm going to order a set of Seven Stars to go with the rest of the set. But that can wait for now.

Lots to do, but moving right along.

Get a Bill of Sale spelling out the kit number. Also all the build logs if you can.
I think Vans has a Bill of Sale you can download. Once you get it send a copy to Vans so you are in their system.

Back