What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

propeller balancing with dynavibe

jask

Well Known Member
I am doing free balancing of props for fellow RV owners at KRNM. Ramona, CA. Last one was typical, .31 ips initial to .04 in three runs. I even provide free AN hardware for the weights. Can't beat that deal. Nice to make friends on the forum. Owner removes cowl and takes readings. I set up sensors and tell you where the weights go. In the process, you learn exactly how to best use the dynavibe and learn how I do split weight calculations. Jim

This is an amazing deal for anyone in his area. If you've never dynamically balanced your prop you'd be amazed at the difference. I have a friend here in Florida who also does dynamic balancing with the Dynavibe and it makes a world of difference in vibrations and smoothness. It saves wear and tear on the WHOLE plane, not just the prop and engine.

What an offer Jim, thanks.

Prop balancing

Thanks for the kind words Shawn.

Most people don't understand the damage vibrations do to aircraft. Cracks in the skin and airframe don't occur at random. They happen when vibrations excite the metal and over time, fatigue sets in and you have a crack. If a rivet can come loose, it will come loose. Circuits board solder joints become brittle and eventually fail. The list just goes on and on.

If a doctor says you have a cancer, you get it treated. Why would anyone allow their beautiful aircraft to be slowly destroyed? It's hard to understand their reasoning. Several people could go together and buy one of these instruments and learning to use them is easy. For 12 years, I have been consulting for a company that focuses on vibration solutions. I was just going to use some of their equipment to balance my prop when I get my 7 finished but their equipment is not normally used for aircraft.

For the casual user, I would probably go with the ACES ProSport which offers split weight solutions. If you want to learn how to manually split weights, then the dynavibe is a better solution. You can end up with a faster and better solution manually.

Last edited:
How much in advance do I need to schedule an appointment if this offer still stands? I am in Sacramento area but it might be worth the fly.

Propeller balance

Is anyone familiar with Dynamic Solutions Systems Inc. Personal MicroBalancer PN 1155-2? I'm troubled by process of getting from polar chart to reality.
Contact me at [email protected]. thanks

Sharing/Renting in and around the Southeast

I was thinking about buying one of the Dynavibe balancers and spread the word for some sort of loaner program in the southeast or inexpensive rental to help pay for it. I feel that prop balancing wouldn't be a big deal to do at every annual and certainly valuable if you have the tool but I don't want to pay for it every year. Wondering how many people feel the same way?

How much would you pay to "rent" a Dyanvibe for a week? i'm just curious at this point.

My local EAA chapter bought one a few years ago. Available to members, and arrangements can usually be made to rent to non-members.

Unless you're looking at it as a money making venture, perhaps doing it through your local chapter would be a better option.

Charlie

Is anyone familiar with Dynamic Solutions Systems Inc. Personal MicroBalancer PN 1155-2? I'm troubled by process of getting from polar chart to reality.
Contact me at [email protected]. thanks

They should probably explain the process in an operating manual but I looked at their website and they have no download. To calculate the weight from the polar chart, use the standard formula of ((hp/10) + 30))* IPS. Multiply that by the distance from crank center to sensor/distance from crank center to the location of the weight. Tradition is that the polar charts give the location of the heavy spot so you need the add the weight 180 degs. Standing in front of the prop, the weight location is measured CCW from the sensor tape location.

Prop balancing

This Saturday will be the last opportunity for a courtesy prop balance for an indefinite period of time. Jim

Hi Jim
I would like to take you up on your prop balance offer. I'm available this Saturday and based at Chuck Hall.
Call or text

Pat
858-922-8056

I am doing free balancing of props for fellow RV owners at KRNM. Ramona, CA. Last one was typical, .31 ips initial to .04 in three runs. I even provide free AN hardware for the weights. Can't beat that deal. Nice to make friends on the forum. Owner removes cowl and takes readings. I set up sensors and tell you where the weights go. In the process, you learn exactly how to best use the dynavibe and learn how I do split weight calculations. Jim

Are you using my wife's spreadsheet? How's it working for you?

prop balancing formula

They should probably explain the process in an operating manual but I looked at their website and they have no download. To calculate the weight from the polar chart, use the standard formula of ((hp/10) + 30))* IPS. Multiply that by the distance from crank center to sensor/distance from crank center to the location of the weight. Tradition is that the polar charts give the location of the heavy spot so you need the add the weight 180 degs. Standing in front of the prop, the weight location is measured CCW from the sensor tape location.

Jask - Thank you for the formula. Is the result produced in grams? I just did my first attempt (without any formula) by making additional adjustments based on measured change resulting from my initial adjustment. It was tedious but seems to have worked out OK. (.04) It would have been great to have this formula prior to starting the process. Thanks

We have had a few prop-balancing parties in the Boston area. They are never a disappointment and for those who haven't done the balancing act, you won't be disappointed. Almost like flying behind a turbine afterward.

We have had a few prop-balancing parties in the Boston area. They are never a disappointment and for those who haven't done the balancing act, you won't be disappointed. Almost like flying behind a turbine afterward.

Brian, just came across this post after doing a search for prop balancing. Anything planned for the near future? I'm in western Mass. Thanks.

I just borrowed my EAA chapter's Dynavibe and plan to balance my prop sometime in the next week or so. Very excited to feel the difference. I'm also hoping it helps with an ongoing AHRS inaccuracy issue I'm currently fighting with (G3X AHRS fails the engine vibration "runup" test).

Back