What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 (HSI/GAD29B) with 430W and SL-30

recapen

Well Known Member
Hopefully, the Garmin folks will chime in on this one.

Replacing the NSD-1000 HSI in my RV-6A panel with a G5. I previously used the annunciator switch to select the SL-30/430W source for the HSI - nice feature and worked well!

Looking at the manual, there are enough ports to accommodate the SL-30 (Serial) and the 430W (ARINC) - but the HSI will then no longer receive MAPMX data from the 430W - as it comes in on the only serial port. Does the G5 software support this configuration?

I can use the G5 internal GPS for position source if necessary.

G5 connection

The SL30 does not speak ARINC, it can not be connected to the GAD29.
Connecting the SL30 serial to the G5, the RS232 input needs to be configured to "Garmin VHF Nav Radio".
This will make it impossible to use the same RS232 input on the G5 for
MAP MX as the configuration needs to be changed.
I have a GNC255 ARINC connected to the GAD29 and a GTN650.
The MAP MX is connected direct to the G5 RS232 serial.

Good luck

Thanks - I'm wondering it the 430W will still send CDI data without the MAPMX and will the G% take the CDI data without the MAPMX data. If not, I will need another CDI head to display the SL-30 as a backup....

My NSD-1000 would take analog data and the annunciator would switch it - no problems.

The single RS-232 port is the killer here.

I know one OR the other will be fully functional...

Maybe the Garmin folks will chime in....

Hopefully, the Garmin folks will chime in on this one.

Replacing the NSD-1000 HSI in my RV-6A panel with a G5. I previously used the annunciator switch to select the SL-30/430W source for the HSI - nice feature and worked well!

Looking at the manual, there are enough ports to accommodate the SL-30 (Serial) and the 430W (ARINC) - but the HSI will then no longer receive MAPMX data from the 430W - as it comes in on the only serial port. Does the G5 software support this configuration?

I can use the G5 internal GPS for position source if necessary.
Ralph,

Yes, this should work fine. Your SL30 will be VLOC1 on the G5 CDI source select, and the GNS 430W will be GPS2 and VLOC2.

Since you will not have a MapMX connection from the GNS 430W to the G5, you will want to make sure to enable the GPS receiver in the G5 and probably use an external antenna connected to the G5 BNC antenna connector.

Here is a wiring diagram that should work.

G5 to SL30_GNS4XXW_Wiring.png

Steve

Back