What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taildragger gear installation

Glen P

I’m struggling trying to get the main gear all the way into the engine mount. I can’t seem to get that last inch - where the ID of the mount is reduced. I’ve lubricated and polished with no luck. My digital caliper indicates that the reduced ID is actually 5-10 thou less than the gear diameter. Could that be? Any suggestions?

Thanks

It was for my RV-3B landing gear socket. It would have been a major interference fit. I used a hone and honed it out, very carefully. Eventually got so that both legs fit with zero play and snug enough that they didn't fall out. I had to use lubricant to get them in or out.

I described that in my blog here.

Dave

Similar for me on my 7. Had to remove about 1/2" of powder coat for it to go all the way into the socket. Might need to double check that.
ACtC-3cnfTEyGrEgaNg7vNR2alc9UPR_Ipr9XXdMPrXGDPnmurLMSapLNLRIZcscEpec9gjKgrBHQDhzGoctr3Gi_ZdjZrlP3-eN9-eZDbRL8vFmiFqLNM4RSMD3MFDTmxyZ2MVcOl4oOKocCKkc0a4o06OP=w842-h474-no

ACtC-3fQm5ofwvhI2N_Q6e3aIs0J1awxRsaq7E_TwqBW2K4LxzrkGRP_yJtoMbteuekuXAhXPzZfuAWQ-69ZZ4fcLQflgYEQMLdNzFZptBfAhWjTqrLRCDEuB2bMS0qJ5p-JLkaS_4pxM-tRlf-0xxtCEbPt=w842-h474-no

ACtC-3fAZ5HHVB--GlBOa4JAL7hT6DoSQYuDO6bGnB10YmoVnmY6Z6LiOqzYH11rM2MiE5Q_8Jx9VFDD3r1bH1homI1xks3VH4ucpjGBJ2bwSl9WHTIiA_o2c8FRKCt5glD4nBTiBVOg3osruPldsVbdzDK4=w842-h474-no

Last edited:
Interference fit

In the old days we use to use heat/cold for interference fit for items on the farm and old muscle cars.

Is there a range to stay with-in or is that even allowed here in the Experimental world?

Tim

Back