What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic harnesses

glen25781

Hey guys and girls,

I just bought a 2009 RV6A which has standard automotive type seat belts and would like to get some aerobatic harnesses for basic loops and rolls. Any recommendations as to brand and price? I am familiar with Hooker but wondering if there are any decent alternatives.
I would appreciate any suggestions including how to install them...maybe some videos?

Thanks,

Glen

Hooker does make fine harnesses. If you intend to do aerobatics I suggest you get a 5-point harness with a ratcheting seat belt. I flew competition aerobatics in my RV-8 for over 10 years and the plane was outfitted with all the necessary equipment. The one piece of equipment that I valued more than all the others was the seat belt ratchet. Being firmly attached to the seat makes you feel at one with the airplane, able to feel every movement and vibration and unconcerned about uncontrolled movement of your body. Your total concentration can therefore be devoted to flying the airplane.

Just my $0.02

The following article published in the August 2016 issue of the EAA Magazine.
It is a companion article to one by Dick VanGrunsven on the subject of RV Aerobatics. Both are in the EAA web site archives:

Crow

Converted mine from a no brand 4 points to a Crow 5 points, very happy :)

Having just survived what should have been a fatal crash- Crow 5 point.
They helped save my life.
11.2 g and they held me in place.

Daddyman

I've been really happy with Crow harnesses. I just got a set with the rotary buckle, I really think its worth the price for the upgrade.

would like to get some aerobatic harnesses for basic loops and rolls.

Do you have inverted systems? If not, like most RVers you're probably only going to be doing basic positive G maneuvers. If this is the case, just be aware that there's little value in having a ratcheting acro belt. The ratcheting lap belt is only useful when doing negative G maneuvers. A standard lap belt works perfectly fine for anything zero G plus. The shoulder harness does nothing for acro, but is essential for crashworthiness of course. The crotch strap is also good for general crashworthiness.

Thanks so much to you all for your input.

I am only planning basic loops and rolls because anything more tends to cause airsickness among my frequent passengers. I mainly want them for the feeling of security for myself and passengers as well as more security if I had to do an off-airport landing.

I had an engine quit in a biplane in '94 and had to take it into the trees with nowhere else to go. My daughter and I walked away from that one and I believe the harnesses were at least partly responsible for our survival. I ordered the Crow harnesses today....reasonable prices and seem to be well made.

Thanks so much to you all for your input.

I am only planning basic loops and rolls because anything more tends to cause airsickness among my frequent passengers. I mainly want them for the feeling of security for myself and passengers as well as more security if I had to do an off-airport landing.

Remember... The FAA requires both occupants to wear parachutes while doing aerobatics. No chute required if you fly solo.

Thanks

Thanks Ron for your input. I will stay solo during aerobatics until I find a couple of good used parachutes. I enjoyed your article...well written and concise. I have missed my RV6A since I sold my last one in '05....I think this will be my last airplane since it does everything well, including cross country trips.

Thank you for your service in the Air Force...guys like you have kept us safe in this great country during my whole life. I live next to Eglin AFB and watch the F35's go overhead every day. What a joy to watch them streaking across the sky!

Glen

I also have the Crow 5pt harness with rotary buckle. I have been happy with the choice and would not change if I were starting over.

Back