What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT probe position

fabio

is there any good distance from the exhaust flanges where is it better to install the EGT probes on IO 360 ?

From Vetterman’s website:
What is the correct EGT probe location?
EGT probes should be mounted one and a half to two inches below the cylinder port. This places the probes in the flame front which will give the most correct reading.

Facing which way?

I understand the desired 2 1/2" total distance from the manifold to the EGT Probe. The verbiage gets confusing when discussing "forward" or "rear" because I get confused about whether we're talking about the overall direction the probe is going FROM the exhaust, or the direction the internal end of the probe is pointing.

It just seems obvious that these probes should be installed AWAY from the sparkplugs and wires to make future maintenance easier. So, on cylinders 1 & 3 (Starboard) the EGT probes will be installed on the forward surface of the pipes so the wiring extends forward from the exhaust pipe and away from the spark plugs.

Opposite on 2 & 4, Port.

Or, am I wrong about this?

EGT probe placement

I understand the desired 2 1/2" total distance from the manifold to the EGT Probe. The verbiage gets confusing when discussing "forward" or "rear" because I get confused about whether we're talking about the overall direction the probe is going FROM the exhaust, or the direction the internal end of the probe is pointing. It just seems obvious that these probes should be installed AWAY from the sparkplugs and wires to make future maintenance easier. So, on cylinders 1 & 3 (Starboard) the EGT probes will be installed on the forward surface of the pipes so the wiring extends forward from the exhaust pipe and away from the spark plugs. Opposite on 2 & 4, Port. Or, am I wrong about this?

EI (and others) recommend placing the probes 1.5 inches from the flange. It makes a small difference but ALL SHOULD BE THE SAME DISTANCE from the flange on all exhaust pipes. I recently replaced the single probe I had on cylinder 4 with a 4 cylinder upgrade. The original probe was 3 inches down from the flange. I don't remember why I placed it there (YEARS ago) but wanted to use that same hole. Problem was, with two of the other pipes, the probe would have been in the slip joints. Nope. They are now all 1.5 inches down from the flange.

I think the probes should be placed with the exhaust system ON THE ENGINE. As I was placing the probes on mine, found there were places that were interfered with where the probes would be placed. One thing I hadn't considered was where the screw for the CLAMP was going to go to be accessible. The first place I was going to place 1 and 3, I would not have been able to (easily) get to that pesky screw.

I have not seen anything that mandates the probes be all placed in the same or similar direction. Not interfering spark plug wires, other factors seemed to be more important than which direction they were pointed in the exhaust pipe. IMHO; others may have a different take on this....

Back