What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some Titan IO370 performance numbers

Freemasm

Well Known Member
This was kicked-off by the Aerosport recent IO375 thread, Didn't want to contribute to the drift -> hijack.

These are for reference only. This:
is not a statement about vendor supremacy
is not a statement about appurtenance choice preeminence
is not a large enough sample to offer any conclusions
has several unknowns like spark advance
etc.

I believe Titan nameplates all IO370s at 195HP regardless of configuration. The baseline would be O360, 8.5:1s, Mech FI, Mags, "hot" sump, etc.

For reference only. See attached.

Attachments

• Perform Compare.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IO370torque.power curve.pdf
    321.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Torque Chart.pdf
    170.5 KB · Views: 167
Running Strong

Interesting!

Mine is one of the engines on your data sheet. The "Jeff Romuald" build at 206.5 HP, EFII.

I have it installed on my RV-7 and paired with a Whirlwind HRT prop. performance is awesome!

I have about 350 hours on the engine and it has been running flawlessly for about 4 years.

Forgot to add that when I bought the engine, they were just bought by Continental. They were still located in San Antonio at the time. I dealt with JB for the purchase and the transaction was stellar. I traveled to San Antonio and watched the build with Bobby Looper. After they dyno'd my engine (very pleased!) I drove it home to Wisconsin. To boot, no sales tax since Wisconsin does not charge a sales tax on aircraft parts!

Jeff, I was just in your area this summer, bought a tool post grinder and stopped there to pick it up on the Mi side. Wish I knew you were there.

What is your 8000ft DA max cruise KTAS and RPM with that 370? I have CS prop and say RPM because 2550-2650 was my max speed with the Hartzell composite. I keep tweaking the mixture until the airspeed stabilizes at max speed. It seems to drop 2kts from peak to full thermal balance - about 15-20 min. Not sure exactly why??

I have the stock M1B with standard timing mags.

Last edited:
Back