What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SEAT BELT POLL, Latch Type, Brand, Style

Harness Brand, Buckle Type, Configuration (MAKE 3 Choices)

• Total voters

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
This thread is a conversation on seatbelts or harness. Post a reply below on your thoughts of seatbelts. Did you buy belts from typical vendor for planes or did you buy generic racing harness.

Any fun comments, tips, suggestions, recommendation for VAF don't be shy

Q) Pilots with Mil Spec Latch and Buckle do you put your latch on the LEFT of RIGHT side?
Q) Pilots with Mil Spec Latch and Buckle do you protect latch from inadvertent opening?

If you don't see your choice please post a reply below

BRAND
BUCKLE
CONFIGURATION
COMMENT

Last edited:
Originally, I bought a generic race car 4 point harness. Best thing I ever did is switch to Crow 5 point Kam Lock harness. The 5 point in particular is wonderful. Keeps the lap belt from "riding up" when you tighten the shoulder harness. Also the Kam Lock is very easy to release AND very easy to connect. each component- lap, each shoulder strap, and the crotch strap, can be connected indiviaually one at a time instead of trying to juggle all to latch at one time.

Keith

What Kevin just said...
Except that I installed the 5 point Kam Crow belts in the first place.
Love them !!! I did try on other planes the latch type belts.
That convinced me to go rotary.

Schroth aerospace harnesses, 5 point.
Back in the day (1999) it was the only rotary style I knew of and I really wanted that. Also they're very lightweight. However they're also quite expensive and not very robust - the plastic rotary part (plastic) on both belts was cracked by about 1000 hrs so I had to get them replaced at a lot of expense.

However one cool factoid - when I was watching the first SpaceX Crew flight, I noticed the astronauts wearing same type of harness. So, my plane has belts that are also used on a SPACE SHIP. Kinda neat.

EDIT: I didn't really say, they are super nice harnesses, my complaints above notwithstanding. I'm not sure I'd want to change if I had it to do over.

Last edited:
Hooker 5-point with standard buckle

If 26 hours of Phase 1 experience is of any value, I chose the Hooker 5-point system with the standard buckle when ordering my seats from Classic Aero. While certainly a high-quality product in every way, I do wish that I would have selected the rotary buckle as it's a bit inconvenient trying to wrangle everything together to get the buckle latched.

Schroth Harness

I had Schroth belts in my race car (SCCA S2) and loved them.

Didn't know they made an aviation harness, although I think one version of their race harness could be made to work well in a -4 or -8. But they are pricey compared to Hooker or Crow.

Can anybody who has had both Hooker and Crow share their opinion on quality of both?

TIA, Laird

Schroth in my -4

I have Schroth 4 point (5th point capable) in my -4 . Liberated from Airbus A330. Love them.

I made my own belts for the aerobatic biplane I'm building and gave this question considerable thought before proceeding. Here's what I did and why:

Pilot - 5 point Military Spec because it seems most secure and because I think it's cool. I had that on my RV-3 and really like it. Left hand release bc that's the direction I'll be going if I bail out and the stick is in my right hand. I'll add a ratcheting system later if I have to (and likely will) but I hate them.

PAX - 4 point Airline Spec for ease of use and familiarity. I sacrificed a small amount of safety in the interest of simplicity and familiarity by not having an anti-submarine belt. The seating position here is very upright and the PAX has two large grab handles to help them feel secure and in position. Left hand release.

Crow pull up!

Just put my Crow cam latch, but the most important feature is to make sure you get the style of lap belt that you pull UP to tighten! So much better than the traditional pull down style! I also love my sewn in shoulder pads..

I have whatever brand that Van's sells with the kit, whatever that is so I didn't vote for the brand, just the buckle type (airline metal to metal), and config (4-point for all 4 seats).

I have whatever brand that Van's sells with the kit, whatever that is so I didn't vote for the brand, just the buckle type (airline metal to metal), and config (4-point for all 4 seats).

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t know the brand!

Crow 5 Point

I have Crow, 5 point, rotary. I have nothing but crappy 172 belts to compare but I feel the Crow system is about as good as I could hope for in a small plane. There is little movement once strapped in.

I like the rotary but I would like the cam to reset to neutral once I release it. It may be a safety thing and there is a good reason to not reset and twisting the cam back to open isnt a big deal.

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 91
+1 schroth

Back in the day (1999) it was the only rotary style I knew of and I really wanted that. Also they're very lightweigt. However they're also quite expensive and not very robust - the plastic rotary part (plastic) on both belts was cracked by about 1000 hrs so I had to get them replaced at a lot of expense.

However one cool factoid - when I was watching the first SpaceX Crew flight, I noticed the astronauts wearing same type of harness. So, my plane has belts that are also used on a SPACE SHIP. Kinda neat.

Same for me, RV-8. I have not had any quality or material issues in 330 hours. Note: Mine are setup for "pull down to tighten". This is not an issue for me upfront, but it does get kind of sporty when strapping in female guest passengers other than my wife. The pull-down arrangement is very difficult for non-pilots, which means you are doing it for them, and arrangements get quite close in the rear seat of the Van's tandems. Especially that 5th strap. Male passengers are on their own in my plane :)

Schroth 5 point with rotary buckle. A couple of important points about the Schroth aircraft harness buckle. It is designed with a 30 degree pre-rotation before the pins begin to retract to prevent inadvertent operation. Also most Schroth buckles incorporate a shoulder strap release that permits release of the shoulder straps without releasing the lap belt. This is handy when you need to reach for something in flight. One last point, the buckle will release under loads so that if you are hanging from your belts after a crash, it can be easily released by an injured hand.

Full disclosure, In the 90’s I exclusively sold Schroth belts to the GA world.

I use Crow four point military clamp seat belts. Can’t use the fifth connector due to location of my PH UTRB (Ultimate Trim Relay Board) under the CP seat. I have the latch connectors different on each side so I can easily unlock both of us from my side in the event of an upside /down emergency.

I find these belts more secure that the original Vans belt that were installed in the aircraft when I purchased it.

:cool:
I chose the Hooker 5-point system with the standard buckle when ordering my seats from Classic Aero. While certainly a high-quality product in every way, I do wish that I would have selected the rotary buckle as it's a bit inconvenient trying to wrangle everything together to get the buckle latched.
I also have the same 5 pt. Hooker, Mil Spec Lever, Pads on shoulder and legs. Quality is top notch. Threading the shoulder belts and crotch belt on the latch and plugging it into the lever side of lap belt is no big deal personally. I like how simple and visually inspected the lever is over rotary with internal pins and moving parts. Even high quality rotary units can wear over time, all be it a long time (10 yrs, 1000 hrs). The lever can handle abuse for indefinitely. Egress:: One you yank a lever up, Other one you grab the knob and rotate. Preference.

NOTE/ MIL LEVER LATCH which Hooker sells on their belts, are heat treated Mil Spec hardware. Some brands might use Chinese-ium. A noticeable difference is the Mil Spec hardware has stout spring and ball retention of lever. The clones have weaker retention. I'm sure even non Mil is safe with adequate lever retention, but just to be noted.

Last edited:
Hooker

LOVE my Hooker Harness which is, of course, 5 point....(is there another option.......?;)) Snugs me right in without being uncomfortable! Pull UP to tighten the belt and DOWN on the harness. Flying through the BuMpS of Wyoming not an issue: I feel like part of the airplane! Shoulder/hip pads help with the comfort issue. Ordered directly from Hooker back in the day.....

Military clasp type because that is what strangely felt familiar (that may be another story). I like taking the time to fit everything together before that final SNAP of the hook securing itself as a sound of security. I habitually hit it closed with the side of my fist. SNAP!! CROW has a Velcro strap on their hook handle to decrease chance of it coming undone. I have NEVER had my belts inadvertently come unsnapped, in either airplane. After 1200+ hours in SuzieQ there is no sign of anything wearing out. I occasionally put a drop of lubricant on the little ball bearings to keep them from binding.

Rapid egress: open with RIGHT hand. Again, from familiarity. I figured my LEFT hand would be occupied yanking the canopy lever open.:eek::eek:

Back