What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HX EFIS - Large Resolution Issue

RedRaider94

Hoping someone has seen this before. Took the plane in for annual and both screens were working perfectly. Got it back today and 1 of the 2 displays (primary) is coming on in very large font.

At the first screen where it shows the status of everything and you have to hit "Accept", the primary display font of the words is twice as big as the other display. Once you hit "Accept" (which you cant actually see on the primary screen because everything is so large and it is off the page at the bottom), the PFD screen, shows about 2/3 of the display with the other information falling off the screen (altitude tape on right, data boxes on the bottom).

Each screen behaves like this although every screen if functioning perfectly fine from a functionality perspective.

I have looked at every setting possible but can't find anything that would address it. I feel like they clicked some series of buttons when they were doing run ups at the end of annual that caused this but I cant figure it out.

Anyone ever see this or have any idea how to fix it?

Thanks!

Call GRT tomorrow, during work hours. I'm willing to bet it's a configuration issue, they'll know how to fix it.

I sent an email to Jeff last night and got a response. Good news is appears it is something I can fix on my own. Apparently, this can happen at the BIOS level of our EFIS. Certain batch processing or power interruptions can cause it.

This fix doesnt appear too involved but it does require connecting a keyboard to the USB port and entering the BIOS settings to change the Flat Panel Type which appear to have been altered.

Instructions were very detailed will give it a try tomorrow. It is always a little concerning messing with a computers BIOS but have done it on my computers before so should be similar.

Will post if successful tomorrow. If this happens to anyone else, there does appear to be a fix where you dont need to send it in but it isnt fixable in the normal settings.

Shawn

I sent an email to Jeff last night and got a response. Good news is appears it is something I can fix on my own. Apparently, this can happen at the BIOS level of our EFIS. Certain batch processing or power interruptions can cause it.

This fix doesnt appear too involved but it does require connecting a keyboard to the USB port and entering the BIOS settings to change the Flat Panel Type which appear to have been altered.

Instructions were very detailed will give it a try tomorrow. It is always a little concerning messing with a computers BIOS but have done it on my computers before so should be similar.

Will post if successful tomorrow. If this happens to anyone else, there does appear to be a fix where you dont need to send it in but it isnt fixable in the normal settings.

Shawn

Thanks for the update, Shawn. Looks like I need to add a USB keyboard to my flight bag, just in case! :D

Quick update... after paying $9 for a keyboard from amazon with usb connection, I headed to the airport today. Followed the instructions and it took about 5 minutes. Everything back to normal after updating the BIOS.

If anyone else ever has this issue, Jeff can give you the step by step instructions and get things back to normal.

Shawn

Back