What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine isolator question, Lord vs Barry?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
So in my never-ending habit of overthinking every decision, here is today's question for those who have gone before:

Lord mounts currently cost about $280 more for a ship set, but that extra spend gets you better vibration damping due to the silicone insert they incorporate. I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I'm aware that they eventually wear out and start to ooze silicone, requiring replacement sooner than simple rubber mounts.

Berry mounts are cheaper, but don't have the insert. More vibration, less money, presumably longer life.

ooze bad, more spend bad....but vibration also bad.

Which way did you guys go here, why, and would you do it again?

It's an IO390 if that matters. As always, diverse opinions welcomed as I wear the numbers off my credit card.

I didn’t notice any difference in vibration levels when I switched from the original VIP mounts to the LORD. The only reason I switched is because the engine was off the airplane for a repair and I had 1600 hours accumulated. I do heavy aerobatics and the LORD allowed my engine to move around and sag more. There were new rub marks on my cowl that hadn’t been there before. If I had to do it again I’d go back to the VIP or try the Barry.

Invest the money you save on the Barry mounts on propeller dynamic balancing. Better bang for your buck

Barry also builds mounts with the elastic gel isolators, and Lord supplies mounts with bonded rubber isolators. The decision is not a simple A or B :D

I've installed, tested and flown many sets of each in HXB over 40 years. I probably have a slight bias for Barry, but only because of their accessible and comprehensible tech support - not $$

Last edited:
Changed from Lord to VIP after the Lord mounts sagged and blew out the silicone bags. No regrets.

VIP for Me

I’ve run the lower cost Barry isolators in our RV-6 for years. We have an O-320D1A with a Catto propeller and a Landoll dampener. It’s pretty smooth.

Back