What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin panel layout reference needed

amaris

Well Known Member
I'm looking to find examples of people's G3X systems layouts and where you've put all the extra pieces, not on the panel... the AHRS, GEA, GSU25. I have a backup battery and a VP-X. I'm trying to figure out where to bolt all this stuff before I actually start drilling holes.
Thanks!

Full Garmin Panel

Heres where my LRUs reside.
EDIT: Mines a slider.

Attachments

• panel-powered-up copy.jpg
    panel-powered-up copy.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 195
  • sub-panel.jpg
    sub-panel.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 197
  • firewall.jpg
    firewall.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 191
  • gmu11.jpg
    gmu11.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Tip up or slider

I'm looking to find examples of people's G3X systems layouts and where you've put all the extra pieces, not on the panel... the AHRS, GEA, GSU25. I have a backup battery and a VP-X. I'm trying to figure out where to bolt all this stuff before I actually start drilling holes.
Thanks!

Are you a tip up or slider? It will make a bit a difference. I’m a slider and can post several pics of what i did. And yes, I have reinforced the ribs where i had to notch for the G3X and Auto pilot.

Attachments

• 93EAF94B-3228-4810-B282-3D3A58B29EB0.jpg
    93EAF94B-3228-4810-B282-3D3A58B29EB0.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 559A4884-D0A5-4204-AFC0-3C2FF2B8AF25.jpg
    559A4884-D0A5-4204-AFC0-3C2FF2B8AF25.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 170
  • B93DEFC0-7E3A-4647-9E51-4DAF0CA0343B.jpg
    B93DEFC0-7E3A-4647-9E51-4DAF0CA0343B.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 154
  • A613F8F7-014F-420B-ABDD-6DE78195EC73.jpg
    A613F8F7-014F-420B-ABDD-6DE78195EC73.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Drop down shelfs

The drop down trays are an awesome idea, I stole the idea from others on this site. I made mine wider, on one side you can see in the pics that they hold my CO detector, fuse blocks, lighting controller. On the other I have my remote com. They are very easy to construct and give you many more options for LRU placements.

Allen,

There are certainly a bunch of little boxes with the G3X system and figuring out where to put them is a challenge. For a slider you can't build a forward shelf like on a tip up. I'm happy to share what I did and do what you will with that information.

For the GMU11 I mounted mine on the aft deck similar to what Michael shows. I actually rotated mine so the interface connector goes forward. I made my bracket, but Stein sells one that is pretty much the same.

For the GSU25 units I have 2. I mounted them in the tail on the bracket that Van's sells.

For the GAD27 ideally it would mount under the seats since most of the connections are to the sticks or to the wing lighting. I didn't like the way it fit so I mounted it to the side of one of the forward ribs. My thinking is that all of the wires from the seat area will come forward and then up to the GAD27.

The forward ribs seems to be a good place for some of the modules for a slider. I mounted my GAD29 and GEA24 forward of the sub-panel on the center ribs with the mating connectors facing down.

I made shelf that goes from the panel to the sub panel to mount my GDL52R. It is located on the left side and will be accessible by removing my GDU460.

If I had a VPX I would probably mount it on the sub-panel behind one of the GDU displays.

I did use socket head 10-32 screws to mount the forward modules so it will be somewhat easier to remove them when needed. I also decided to add the access panels to the forward top skin.

There are many ways to do this so good luck. If you are in the Livermore area you are welcome to come take a look at what I have.

Attachments

• GAD27_mounted.jpg
    GAD27_mounted.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 159
  • GDL52R_shelf.jpg
    GDL52R_shelf.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 152
  • GEA24_GAD29_,mounting.jpg
    GEA24_GAD29_,mounting.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 143
  • GMU-11_intstall_2.jpg
    GMU-11_intstall_2.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Aft_wiring_1.jpg
    Aft_wiring_1.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 159
Move Regulator

Are you a tip up or slider? It will make a bit a difference. I’m a slider and can post several pics of what i did. And yes, I have reinforced the ribs where i had to notch for the G3X and Auto pilot.

I would move your regulator. That black cover is where you adjust the output voltage of the alternator. It might be inaccessible once the top skin is on.

Lucky

I would move your regulator. That black cover is where you adjust the output voltage of the alternator. It might be inaccessible once the top skin is on.

I’m able to get to both of them through the access panels I cut in to the top skin. Those tow access panels have saved my butt several times already. Thanks for the potential heads up!!

The drop down trays are an awesome idea, I stole the idea from others on this site. I made mine wider, on one side you can see in the pics that they hold my CO detector, fuse blocks, lighting controller. On the other I have my remote com. They are very easy to construct and give you many more options for LRU placements.

My previous photo didn't show it but my Co detector ended up in line with the GEA 24. Heres a photo after everything was wired.

I know the OP said they're using a VPP but heres a photo of my drop down tray for the fuse blocks for those that may be interested. This is between the sub-panel and the instrument panel on the right side.

Attachments

• CO-detector.jpg
    CO-detector.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 179
  • tray.jpg
    tray.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 133
If you haven't done it yet I would encourage you to purchase the plexiglass layout patterns for the LRUs from Steinair. It does help. You will see then in Michael Flemming's firs post above. Really obvious one in the GMU 11 photo.

Great thread here. And great feedback from different builders. It's a techno-sparky peer review. It's not possible for one builder to think about all the moving targets in an install so when everyone takes a crack at it we all learn even more.

If you haven't done it yet I would encourage you to purchase the plexiglass layout patterns for the LRUs from Steinair. It does help. You will see one on the GMU 11 photo from Michael Flemming above.

Great thread here. And great feedback from different builders. It's a techno-sparky peer review. It's not possible for one builder to think about all the moving targets in an install so when everyone takes a crack at it we all learn even more.

Those Steinair plexiglass templates are great BUT check with them on the GAD 27 template. My Gad 27 template mounting holes were incorrect and I had to redo them after receiving the real GAD 27. I told Stein about it...

I used packing foam that was in something I can no longer recall. I cut it to the right dimensions and taped them in place. Free and pretty accurate.

Back