What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does a constant speed propeller ever pay for itself?

Gary, if you followed the gross weight recommendation from Van's, what would your useful load be?

Mine is 570 lbs at the 1600 lb limit.

How many of those pounds can you put in the baggage compartment before you hit Van's AFT CG limit? Hard to believe that it is more than 40 pounds.

How many of those pounds can you put in the baggage compartment before you hit Van's AFT CG limit? Hard to believe that it is more than 40 pounds.

With a passenger and an hour's gas (which helps the CG), 70 something pounds in the baggage compartment, depending on passenger weight. A couple of years ago, me (160 lbs) a 180 lb buddy, and 100+ pounds of gear headed north to Oshkosh. We only carried 3 hours of fuel, but I have a 2.5 hour bladder, so no loss. A few years before that, I carried full camping gear and a 215 pound buddy to Osh. Ain't hard.

But back to my question... What's your useful load if you follow Van's gross weight recommendation?

I have just purchased a CS Hartzell after flying behind a FP Sensenich for 3 years.

As far as cruise performance goes I'd say they are on par, but in terms of short field and climb performance, no comparison.

5 of my friends over the last 3 years with CS Hartzell's have made me more than envious taking me up for a flight, so I bit the bullet and can't wait for that first test flight.

Cheers

Nothing in an airplane really pays for itself. Equip your plane to match the mission you intend to pursue. I have owned three RV's all with constant speed props. I fly lots of formation and akro. I once went on a flight in an RV with a fixed pitch prop - I thought we would never get airborne. Bottom line - the CSP is worth the extra money to me. Each builder/buyer has to make this personal decision for themselves.

I've made three trips west in the last four years to Johnson Creek and beyond. They were made in my RV-4 with O-360 and Sterba prop. Some of the shorter fields were challenging, both getting into and out of, especially Flying-B.

This year I am making the trip in my RV-6 with O-360 and CS prop. I expect to see a big difference in the ability to get into and out of some of those strips. If that is the case, then for me the CS prop will definitely be worth the additional funds and maintenance.

The true solution is>>>>>>>>

If you have an FP then rub MMO on it and it will be as wonderful as a CS.

If you have a CS then rub MMO on it and it will be as wonderful as an FP.

If you have a ground adjustable prop then prime it before using the MMO and it will be just as wonderful as the other 2 props.
:rolleyes:

Back